• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eye Surgery?

Hammer10k

pilot
Hello all,

Thanks for reading. I've been picked up for NSA and should be heading to OCS in the spring. I had a second depth perception test done at a private clinic after MEPS when my score wasn't satisfactory. This has led to concerns about my eyes. I've noticed my vision has gotten worse (law school) especially for reading at a distance. My vision comes in at 20/20, 20/30, and I feel the more stringent vision tests in primary would leave me SOL.

Would anyone advise getting Lasik or PRK before OCS?

Thank you!

Last edited:

mb1685

I'm about 99% sure you'll invalidate your PQ status and thus your selection. I believe MEPS/N3M won't even look at applicants for 6 months after eye surgery.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Exactly, I'm currently in month 5 of a 6 month wait after having LASIK. Minimums for SNA are 20/40, don't get LASIK unless you're definitely over the limit.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Tough call, you can try your best to keep your eyes healthy, but you run the risk of getting NAMI'd the first week of OCS. The other option is what others listed.

If you do get PQ'd, you can get surgery for your eyes after API, and even maybe before. There was one ENS who had them done after he finished.

BleedGreen

pilot
Don't count on LASIK right after API, that is not the norm. NAMI does not like to intentionally med down their students.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Students get something 365 days of total med down time while in flight school, if you exceed that, attrition is in your future. I've seen it happen to guys who have TBIs and motor cycle accident related injuries.

If you're going to get it done, get it done before flight school.