• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eye correction process

vmi2013

I am currently a freshman at the Virginia Military Institute (VMI). I am on navy scholarship and I am trying to become a naval aviator. Unfortunately my eyesight is not 20/20 or 20/40 and i need to get PRK done. I have spoken to my LT. and she told me to do it on my own. Then i spoke with another pilot and he told me not to do it and to find out by accessing the NAMI sight and i couldnt find any rules on how to actually go about correcting my eyes to navy standard. If you could help me with this i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

vmi2013

I was hoping for guidance on the proper way to go about getting your eyes corrected. Do i go to a doctor privately or do I go through the navy to have it corrected? any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

headinclouds

I had PRK done by a private doctor and am awaiting a decision from the April boards on a Pro-rec for SNA or SNFO. So contact a surgeon in your area and get to it. Make sure you have six months to heal before you expect to do any military training

vmi2013

Is there any other info that you can give me on this situation because i would like to learn as much as i can about the proper way to go about getting my eye fixed.

headinclouds

I had it done while in the process of applying for Marine Corps OCS and my OSO at the time said just make sure to tell the surgeon you need PRK done. He also suggested that I print a copy of the NAMI waiver for correct eye surgery. I have attached the link below. You will need a copy of the notes from your pre-op, 3 month post-op and 6 month post-op visits with your surgeon. When I transfered my application from Marine Corps to Navy my OR just said to make sure and get him a copy of those three visits with my surgeon.

Aside from that I don't have any more information but I am coming up on my 6 month post-op in 2 weeks so I will check back if I find anything else out.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...ments/Waiver Guide - Ophthalmology 091228.pdf (section 12.15)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Make sure your doctor documents all pre-surgery stats. They will need it for the waiver process.

-ea6bflyr ;)