• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Effects on selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

isshinwhat

None
Given that all goes well with PRK post-op, does having to seek a waiver for it hurt one's chances at selection? Is the Navy more inclined to select a potential aviator with no vision waiver over one with a waiver for PRK, all other things being equal?

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Your medical record is confidential. Only the people at NOMI and BUMED know you had PRK. The people on the SNA boards just know that you are physically qualified for flight.

isshinwhat

None
Good point, and one I am thinking about seriously. I don't have the "need" to be the pilot in command of the aircraft, but I have my commercial and CFI already, so it would be nice. It is more a quality of life issue for me, with the added benefit being it opens up another career field. Either NFO or Aviator would be an amazing field with a superb mission. After all, that is what it is all about.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
I doubt that the selection board cares if you have had PRK or not. There are guys in my squadron have had PRK. When they tell anyone that they have had the procedure done, the response is usually "cool", and that’s about it. The flight docs might get all excited but I seriously doubt that Aviators on the selection board are going to care.

triplejayz

snake driver
In your record, if you have PRK done, it says that you are NPQ and will the entire time you are in the military. I have had PRK, my record says that I'm NPQ with a waiver, and it had no bearing on my selection.

Jeff29

Science Project
Red2 said:
Your medical record is confidential. Only the people at NOMI and BUMED know you had PRK.
Also, the Flight Surgeon will obviously know, as will any doc, corpsman or admin person who sees your medical record. There is also record of the surgury in your NATOPS jacket and your Aviation Training Jacket. Basically everyone in the squadron, other than other students, has access to that information. Pretty much, everyone will know. That being said, it apparently has no bearing on your selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.