1. Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dismiss Notice

E-2 Weapons School

Discussion in 'Naval Flight Officer (NFO)' started by NFOHopeful19, Apr 19, 2017.

1. NFOHopeful19

NFOHopeful19 Formal Parade Veteran

Hey all,

Just out of curiosity, is there a preferred weapons school for the VAW community? I know that there is the TOPGUN Controller Syllabus and CAEWWS, but I couldn't find a whole lot on either school outside of courses offered/a general description of the schools and their objective.

2. Jim123

Jim123 molding (warping) the future of naval aviation None

It's called Hogwarts.

(You probably think I'm joking.)

Alpha_Echo_606, JollyGood and Pags like this.
  3. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Robot Pimp Super Moderator None Contributor

How do you mean by 'preferred'?

4. NFOHopeful19

NFOHopeful19 Formal Parade Veteran

Is one better for career advancement than the other one or do both get you to WTI and they look the same on paper? I know TOPGUN is mostly focused on air-to-air, and CAEWWS covers numerous courses, namely AMCC. Would CAEWWS be favored because it covers more of the VAW missions or am I comparing apples and oranges WRT TOPGUN (Controller Syllabus) and CAEWWS?

5. MIDNJAC

MIDNJAC is clara ship None

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. The two courses aren't mutually exclusive........most CAEWWS grads also got a TOPGUN AIC patch during their first tour. Different syllabus, purpose, and end state, as well as a completely different NAWDC department.

6. Uncle Fester

Neither really has any impact on your career prospects. There's a dozen reasons why you might get tapped to go, or not, to a weapons school that have nothing to do with you. And pilots and FOs are lumped together for promotion/screen boards and E-2 pilots go to AMCC but not TG.

Really? When I was in the fleet it was unusual to be dual-patched. There was only one in my last squadron. TG is such a long course (thus also expensive) that the squadrons usually didn't send guys unless they really had to.

7. cfam

cfam A pilot is a pilot. An NFO is something else. None Contributor

Not sure how common it is now, but a decent amount of the CAEWWS staff is dual-patched. We did an integration event with the current HEWTI class today, and it looked like a 50/50 split between AIC patch wearers and non patch wearers. I'll ask tomorrow during our next event.

8. MIDNJAC

MIDNJAC is clara ship None

I should caveat that by saying that the only CAEWWS patches I knew were at the weapon school. Most of them had previously received TOPGUN AIC patches. Mileage may vary across the fleet.

9. Uncle Fester

Oh, if you mean dual-patched CAEWWS staff, that's not that surprising. I thought you meant in a typical squadron.

MIDNJAC likes this.
  10. cfam

cfam A pilot is a pilot. An NFO is something else. None Contributor

I asked a couple of the guys on CAEWWS staff, and they said it's less unusual to have dual patched fleet guys than it used to be. From what they / you were saying, I gather it was extremely uncommon in the past. From their perspective, squadrons are getting more aggressive about pushing JOs through the AIC course.

The current CAEWWS class has 3 TG AIC patches out of 8 total students, which they said is pretty typical.