• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Don't get disenrolled from NROTC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
Just a word of caution to you guys who are pursuing NROTC scholarship or are already in the program. I was in the program for 3 years and got disenrolled due to grades. The consequences are 2 years of enlisted service. I luckily applied for and was accepted into OCS after i worked my butt off my senior year. More than a third of my initial NROTC class was disenrolled or dropped out. Navy standards are usually higher than institution standards. If you get less than a 2.0 or have a cumulative gpa less than 2.0 then you are subject to a PRB (performance review board) where they threaten to take your scholarship away and put you in the fleet enlisted. That is not a pleasant experience by any means. i know several people who are not as lucky as I am and are now in the fleet enlisted. I know it is easy to lose focus and want to slack and party a lot in college- especially your freshman year. don't do it! And I hear that OCS slots are full for the next several years, so if you get disenrolled you are SOL. If you have any questions about this don't hesitate to email me.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
What motivation!

I imagine this only applies if you have an ROTC scholarship? If you havent taken any $$ from the Navy I doubt that they could stick you with the enlisted tour.

Dave

trmat79

Hey EODDave that is true when I was in ROTC we kicked out all sorts of people and as long as they didnt take a money from the navy they had no problem. Even if they took money sometimes they could just pay it back

Todd Matson

NuSnake

no offense...but a 2.0.......anyone could make that with little or no effort. Seems to me if you were in the program to begin with you should have all your eggs in a row. Hell, who knows, maybe I'm wrong, I just think a 2.0 would be easy as hell to make. haha, with BDCP if you go below a 3.0 they pitch a fit.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
I went to an engineering school... B's are hard to come by. But the Navy doesn't care about what your major is or what school you attend... whether you're at MIT or Podunk U. the requirement is the same... interestingly enough I heard MIT uses a 5.0 scale.

tali264

Originally posted by virtu050
I went to an engineering school... B's are hard to come by.
Sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with BDCPUAH on this one. An engineering degree is an engineering degree no matter what school it's from. A 2.0. Come on. Be honest, it's not that tough to get. People below that SHOULD be kicked out. These people are supposed to be officers and lead others. How can they be expected to do that when they can't be bothered to show up for class, do homework, or put forth any kind of effort while doing something pretty damn important (i.e. college).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A THIRD of your class?!??!?! PLEASE tell me your class consisted of 6 people and not 30 or so. That's REALLY bad. Not trying to be an ass, I've just never of that many people dropping/kicked out.

Navy ROTC Guy

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
class size was 30+ at start... a little over 20 got commissioned. it is pretty bad... that's why i thought i should tell you all that it happens.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. What school Unit/school was this? I'm at Holy Cross NROTC...though I attend Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Navy ROTC Guy

Alex Fowler

I'm actually relieved to hear that, I thought it was 2.5 which would have put me in trouble (I suffered from not having the maturity to put down the shotglass and study during my first semester, which resulted in a 2.4 GPA, something that will certainly be corrected in the future).

BC 14, Notre Dame 7
GO EAGLES!!

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I also have to agree with BDCPUAH on this topic. You are not in ROTC to slack and just barely hang on and graduate. You are going to be an Officer, a leader of others. As an officer, you will set the standard for your Marines (or sailors as the case may be for you), whether it be a positive or negative one. I honestly don't believe that someone who is barely pulling a 2.0 is showing the mettle to lead anyone into battle, and had better prioritize their goals before deciding that they want to get into a field where a lack of proficiency will cost your life, or worse yet the lives of the enlisted who work below you. I understand that everyone in their youth, upon adventuring out to college experiences a newfound freedom which can lure one to partying too much, and I understand that not everyone is perfect. However now is the time for you to raise the bar for yourself, set a higher standard today and be a true leader to those who will work beneath you later on.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hahha that's awesome. It's Clarke here. I got designated as Pilot over break :) Funny running into you here ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.