• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do fully furnished apartments exist in P-Cola?

ehoney

Not in Kansas anymore
Has anyone had any luck finding housing with furnished living rooms and beds? I don't own anything and want to avoid buying furniture before they ship me off to Corpus for primary.

If not, has anyone had any experience using Rent-A-Center or something like it?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
There used to be one place, but they target traveling business executives. There's and extended stay, and rent-a-centers.

There's no certainty that you're going to corpus or staying at whiting.

Having furniture falls into the same category as having a car in flight school. You're an adult and have a paycheck so you can afford some sort of furniture for whoever you end up living. It doesn't have to be expensive or last forever but if your sailors are furnishing their own apartments making less than you do, you should be able to as well. The government will move it for you anyways.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It doesn't have to be expensive or last forever
Alternately, you can buy nice stuff and it will last for a while. A lot of the living room furniture I bought in flight school lasted through my DH tour.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Alternately, you can buy nice stuff and it will last for a while. A lot of the living room furniture I bought in flight school lasted through my DH tour.
I will propose a different option. No matter how nice your stuff is, it will not be your wife's style. Stay as light / cheap as possible on any items that you will have to purchase when married and spend extra money now on the toys (muscle car, jet ski, carbon fiber bike, or exotic travel such as a safari or skiing the Alps) you won't have a chance to get again for a while.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will propose a different option. No matter how nice your stuff is, it will not be your wife's style. Stay as light / cheap as possible on any items that you will have to purchase when married and spend extra money now on the toys (muscle car, jet ski, carbon fiber bike, or exotic travel such as a safari or skiing the Alps) you won't have a chance to get again for a while.
Or, just never get married. Works for me! :D

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
We are in San Diego shorter term (~8 months) and rented a place via VRBO. Most places were willing to offer discounts for military, longer term than the usual vacation rental, and/or off season. Also check AirBnB.

Ha! You sound like a man who has never done an overseas move. It's a lot less painful when they destroy your Ikea coffee table (which you replace with another Ikea coffee table) than when they destroy your solid wood, high quality armoire. Ask me how I know.

Sincerely,
Girl who sleeps on a mattress that has a slight lump from where it was folded in half like a taco to get it up some stairs. Said mattress also sits on the floor, due to the destroyed frame. Can't buy a new one overseas where beds are different sizes, and the Exchange won't sell just a frame.

Rev

pilot
Get a couple roommates and rent a bomb condo on Perdido. Lots of furnished units out there.

As suggested, Snug is also a great option.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'll probably be moving a lot the first few years, until you get to your first Fleet squadron. Frequent moves destroy furniture. My personal advice would be to travel light and disposable until then (think Ikea), bank some deployment money, and buy some grownup furniture when you'll be in one place for more than a year. In that vein, also postpone the acquisition of camp followers until then.

In the TRACOM, there are always people with a room to rent. Flight school studs come and go (see above re: frequent moves). You can buy all your bare necessities - bed, dresser, desk, etc, enough to furnish a room - from Amazon or Ikea for well under a G. Fit everything in one mid-size U-Haul or smaller.

If you really want your own place and don't want to buy furniture, the Q in Pensacola has some permanent party (i.e., long term) suites, or at least it did. If you can get into one, it's probably a more sound use of your money than a furnished place in town. Don't let the crazy wait list put you off - a lot of those are people who put their name on the list and then went and got a place out in town. If you follow up every so often (like, once a week or so), you'll probably get a room.

Technique only, though - don't be that guy, the hermit who lives on base. You can be sensible with your pay and still have a social life. Having friends to study and socialize with will make your time in the TRACOM a lot happier, healthier, and more successful.

This is the last time in your life you'll be young, unencumbered, and well-paid. Don't nuke it.

RuleofLawviation

T1 Advanced
Has anyone had any luck finding housing with furnished living rooms and beds? I don't own anything and want to avoid buying furniture before they ship me off to Corpus for primary.

If not, has anyone had any experience using Rent-A-Center or something like it?

It's impossible to find. Unfortunately there're no websites that filter for furnished. Also google no longer exists. It really sucks...you're going to have to live at the gateway

Just kidding, yah there are