• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DeBubbaing 1898 Krag Rifle (the OTHER 1898)

Redux

I picked this sorry bit of history at an auction a few weeks ago for cheap, thought the actions were cool so I figured I might try and resurrect it. Fajen or Bishop stock, no sights, Bubba either welded sight holes closed or ground screws flush with barrel, bottom was cut out to fit more conventional sights.. IOW a mess BUT action is SMOOTH and barrel (inside) clean and sharpIMG_1171.JPG IMG_1304.JPG IMG_1257.JPG IMG_1173.JPG IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1177.JPG .
I swapped stocks with a buddy for a stock that was cut down like many were, looks much better and it was a free improvement. Test fired, no barrel bulge or pressure signs on case. Would LIKE old school Redfield no drill screw in receiver sights if I can steal cheap, I DO have a model 92 sight that might work. (same screw pattern)

Redux

Too bad, no love for Krags... maybe no history buffs here. I DID get the sight, stole on Ebay 40 bucks, came out better than I imagined.

IMG_1334.JPG IMG_1331.JPG

A7Dave

pilot
Sorry to have missed this. Actually lots of love for the Krags. I had been looking for one at both CMP and gun shows for a while. While the description on the CMP website was grim, some guys got very nice rifles. I found a lightly sporterized one at a gun show. Almost walked a way and realized what I was looking at. In the original sporterization, it had the receiver sight you have on yours. The left side plate is milled out for the sight and the holes remain. It was replaced with a newer vintage lyman on the right hand side.

The barrel has a very nice ramp front sight in place of the military post and the rear leaf is gone - been looking for one of those. The stock is original military, but sanded down, no cartouches and the steel butt plate was replaced with a period No-shok red rubber pad. The 'smith even inletted a piece of wood to fill in the top tang from the military butt plate. It was a Model 1899 carbine (made in 1900). When I got it home, the bore was dirty but after cleaning it was mirror bright and was tight for a .308 brush. The Army released many Krags to the NRA in virtually pristine condition in the 20s and 30s and this was clearly one of them. It shoots better than some of my scoped modern rifles.

Unfortunately I never met Michael Petrov (who lived about 5 miles away here in Anchorage), but he posted some incredible sporter Krags on doublegunshop.com:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=215394&page=all

Renegade One

None

Redux

Looks like a pre-milled dovetail cut for a drift-in front sight.
I have two nice carbine-length Krags that I use for some Wild Bunch matches locally. Very nice rifles.
View attachment 13802
Looking at old thread......... you would be correct on that! Looking at another local........ much nicer and he wants $350.00, I should probably jump on it.