• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deaf in one ear

Camilla

I've searched the forum for anything similar to this but I didn't find it, so please bear with me! I want to become a Navy pilot or NFO. I would like to know if this disqualifies me: my hearing in my left ear is perfect, but I am completely deaf in my right ear. (It's sensorineural deafness which means I cannot use a hearing aid because there is no hearing in that ear to aid.) To be clear, I have no problems hearing and communicating with people, the only problem would be if I was listening to a headset and sound was only playing in my right (deaf) side and not on my left side. In aircraft that Navy pilots fly today, do you need to listen to different messages in your right and left ears? What about NFOs? Is there any differentiation in the communication systems in that regard between different types of fighter aircraft? I qualify for the Navy in every other way - I am healthy with no heart problems or other issues, I have good eyesight, I have a high GPA, etc. I would very much appreciate any information anyone has about whether Navy pilots/NFOs need to listen to different messages in their right and left ears, or pointers in the right direction.

Camilla

Picklesuit nailed it. No chance unfortunately.

Ok. I just want to find out as much as I can. Is this because all Navy pilots need to listen to different communications in their right and left ears? Or is it just a kind of general medical standard?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Ok. I just want to find out as much as I can. Is this because all Navy pilots need to listen to different communications in their right and left ears? Or is it just a kind of general medical standard?

If you read the MANMED, you would have found this:

(2) Current hearing threshold level in either car greater than that described below is disqualifying:
(a) Pure tone at 500, 1000, and 2000 cycles per second for each ear of not more than 30 dB on the average with no individual level greater than 35 dB at those frequencies.
(b) Pure tone level not more than 45 dB at 3000 cycles per second or 55 dB at 4000 cycles per second for each car.

This is a general medical standard.

Camilla

Is there any possibility of a waiver? I don't mean to dismiss both your answers--I really appreciate your help and how quickly you responded to my post. And I know the Navy has strict medical standards, for good reason. I just wonder if anyone could weigh in on whether Navy pilots listen to a different message in one ear vs the other, or if all communication gets played in both sides of the headset at once. Please forgive my ignorance (and stubbornness). Single-sided deafness hasn't caused me any difficulties in life, whether it's in a classroom, driving, doing sports, etc.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I love HAL's very Trumpian response to an eager young buck inquiring about potential service to their country

200w.gif200w.gif

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Is there any possibility of a waiver? I don't mean to dismiss both your answers--I really appreciate your help and how quickly you responded to my post. And I know the Navy has strict medical standards, for good reason. I just wonder if anyone could weigh in on whether Navy pilots listen to a different message in one ear vs the other, or if all communication gets played in both sides of the headset at once. Please forgive my ignorance (and stubbornness). Single-sided deafness hasn't caused me any difficulties in life, whether it's in a classroom, driving, doing sports, etc.

Not possible. Not waiverable.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

There are a lot of conditions, say asthma, that might not affect your daily activities but are still a no-go for military service.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Single-sided deafness hasn't caused me any difficulties in life, whether it's in a classroom, driving, doing sports, etc.
The ability to listen to multiple radios/frequencies and an aircraft's intercom system is crucial in all military aircraft - and requires aural acuity in BOTH ears. What happens when you are congested, or have issues clearing your one, good ear when changing altitude? The standards in MANMED exist for a reason and, the physical requirements for aviators are strict for a reason. Turn this basket of lemons into lemonade and find another way to serve . . .