• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

De-mistifying BUPERS

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Yesterday I got tasked with contacting a specific group within BUPERS to get some questions answered about a packet that was supposed to be sent to get my officer service reccord established. This task introduced me to the world of BUPERS. That being said the more I learned the more I realized I have no idea how BUPERS works, so I did some research and still don't have a clue. I was hoping someone could shine some light on the subject.

First what I think I know:

BUPERS is organized into groups which are identified as PERS ### (where the ### is a number or number/letter combination) These PERS each handle different types of paperwork etc.

The number relates in some way (though I have no idea how) to what the organization does. For instance PERS 4# handles issues relating officers(?).

The numbers assigned to these groups change... constantly... and documentation is not always up to date. For instance I spent several hours trying to track down the elusive PERS 48. Always slightly from my grasp I found that it had changed to PERS 802.

Can anyone explain how BUPERS is organized and demistify its innerworkings?

BTW much gratitude to Bevo for assisting yesterday. It was greatly appreciated, above and beyond, and definately a great help.

statesman

pilot
If you log onto the NPC website (http://www.npc.navy.mil/channels) it lists the various PERS and what they are. For instance, PERS-43 is the aviation detailer.

Thats true, but it doesnt list everything. For instance there is information in my packet that needs to go to PERS 802 and PERS 311c (which is different than PERS 311?). Those organizations arent listed in the drop down menues or anywhere else I have seen.

They are referred to in lots of documentation that I have come across and sometimes you can get a phone number but they are not the easiest folks to get in touch with.

Bevo16

pilot
statesman,

You can't actually expect us to make it easy for you to get in touch with us. If we did that, then you WOULD actually call us. Can't have that.

statesman

pilot

Thanks for the link. That could have been very useful yesterday.

The resulting question is:

NPC codes are fairly self explainitory once looking at the NPC Code List, however I'm still unclear about the relationship between BUPERS and NPC. Is NPC directly subordinate to BUPERS? Are they related but seperate entities?

statesman,

You can't actually expect us to make it easy for you to get in touch with us. If we did that, then you WOULD actually call us. Can't have that.

Yesterdays experience makes the above abundantly apparent Bevo.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NPC == Navy Personnel Command == BUPERS

NPC used to be BUPERS, just as NAVAIR used to be BUAER or BUWEPS (or something). Just like the Commander of a Carrier Air Wing is the CAG and the FRS is the RAG.

trvsmrtn

pilot
There has been some reorganization since I was there, but PERS 4 had to do with detailing everyone, officer and enlisted. For the enlisted rates, they combine similar rates and assign them a pers code. For example, PERS 405 is admin/deck/supply. They detail BMs, YNs, SKs, etc. Depending on the size of the community, you'll normally about 3 detailers for a specific rate, one details chiefs, one details 1st and 2nd classes, and one details 3rd classes and SN. So, PERS 405A may be the chief detailer for the BM rate.

The officers are handled in similar fashion, except that we're broken up by community, PERS 43 being aviation.

Things such as uniforms, money, networking, and anything other than personnel assignments and detailing will have a PERS code that starts with a number other than 4.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Pers-49 handles the world of Reserves.. It actually was a couple of different Pers combined.. Happened while I was drilling there... Yes, Bupers and getting the right person can be a pain... Pers-49 also used to handle the IAs while I was there.. Not sure now.. Stopped drilling when I became a Widebody FO.. 1 day of FEDEX pays roughly $850 (for me) vs much less than drill moneys... So it came down to $$$$..

statesman

pilot
It looks like PERS 9 handles reserves now. PERS 49 isn't on the PERS code list.

@ nittany03

If NPC and BUPERS are the same why does the website not maintain continuity with the new name? For instance in the link provided by HH BUPERS and NPC are referred to as though they are not the same thing.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
You are correct... Just found this... Looks like it was last Fiscal Year, since the publication is dated Nov 07.. Last time I drilled was Jan 07.. Like I said, been out of the loop! Guess I should have paid attention because that was around the same time that the desk that I turn in correspondence courses changed buildings... Think maybe it wasn't a coincidence!
http://www.navy-reserve.org/Portals/0/NRA News/NOV-07/NRAN-NOV-07.pdf

The Reserve Personnel
Management Division at
Navy Personnel Command
Has Changed Codes from
PERS-49 Back to PERS-9

The Reserve Personnel Management
Division is responsible for most personnel
management for Reserve officers and
enlisted personnel. Additionally, the
functions of the former Naval Reserve
Personnel Center (previously in New