• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCS Legacy Hornet sim....

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I’ve always admired the DCS world of pc based sims. I’ve had the opportunity to interact with some of the developers (believe it or not we use their sim models in a few projects) - anyway their Legacy Hornet sim is a most baked. These guys take the process of getting physical and flight models very seriously

Curious what the Hornet guys out there think

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I've only looked at portions of the first video. Pretty good overall from what I saw. My only notes: The safe/armed handle normally looks a bit more vertical in the SAFE position. The cockpit height also seems pretty close to the ground, more like a T-45 sight picture than a Hornet. Also, as you know, taxiways have yellow center lines, not white.

PC-based sims sure have come a long way since the early 2000s. What kind of hardware is this guy using to support this model? Just a stick and throttle, or some kind of VR rig?

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Does the software make your computer smell like an old jizz rag? Will it leak hyd fluid and JP-8 under your office desk? Is the simulated jet down for maintenance 85% of the time? Do other, more capable programs have to fill its lines in DCS CENTCOM? Can it carry half as much as other simulations, with twice the chip on its shoulder? Is the simulated APG-65 clean until the merge?

If not, it’s not accurate.

Last edited:

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Does the software make your computer smell like an old jizz rag? Will it leak hyd fluid and JP-8 under your office desk? Is the simulated jet down for maintenance 85% of the time? Do other, more capable programs have to fill its lines in DCS CENTCOM? Can it carry half as much as other simulations, with twice the chip on its shoulder? Is the simulated APG-65 clean until the merge?

If not, it’s not accurate.

Is it single seat? Without the chance of having to fly with a douchebag, Dungeons and Dragons tool like yourself? I'll take it.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of an exchange between my OPSO and another OPSO at an airplan meeting (the 2 seat OPSO was trying to justify taking our squadron’s lines):

2 seat OPSO: “A single Rhino has more capability than a section of Hornets.”

1 seat OPSO: “Well a single pilot has more capability than a ready room of WSOs.”

That was awkward.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Reminds me of an exchange between my OPSO and another OPSO at an airplan meeting (the 2 seat OPSO was trying to justify taking our squadron’s lines):

2 seat OPSO: “A single Rhino has more capability than a section of Hornets.”

1 seat OPSO: “Well a single pilot has more capability than a ready room of WSOs.”

That was awkward.
Lol. Classic hilarious single seat humor.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
You know, the chip on the shoulder comment was a cheap shot and I apologize. But the rest is pretty accurate. Loved the Charlie squadron in my airwing—good dudes and I still keep in touch with many of them. But the fact is it’s longgggg past time that bad boy was retired. They were in a serious hurt locker on cruise. I filled forward as the spare on several of their combat sorties and we had some scary stuff, maintenance wise, happen to our Charlie wingmen in country. I’m talking fuel leak and melted engine parts with no cockpit indications.

Props to the pilots and maintainers for making it work as well as they can, but for the love of god, it’s time for the USMC and Navy to retire that bad boy.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I've only looked at portions of the first video. Pretty good overall from what I saw. My only notes: The safe/armed handle normally looks a bit more vertical in the SAFE position. The cockpit height also seems pretty close to the ground, more like a T-45 sight picture than a Hornet. Also, as you know, taxiways have yellow center lines, not white.

PC-based sims sure have come a long way since the early 2000s. What kind of hardware is this guy using to support this model? Just a stick and throttle, or some kind of VR rig?

@sevenhelmet entry into flightsim ready PC hardware can be had in teh $500 USD range - its really all about the GPU. The current generation of sub $200 graphics cards work great with 1080P displays. A little "overclocking" and you are there.

VR headsets like Oculus and HTC Vive are awesome but pricey and they need more horsepower in both CPU and Graphics card - easily a $1500 conversation.

A basic gaming PC in the $500-600 range, teamed with open source head tracking software (that works with a standard webcam) is often used freetrack http://www.free-track.net/english/ and opentrack https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack

Lastly high quality switched and controllers are the rage - like Thrustmaster's HOTAS series - with industrial grade potentiameters, rate sensors, switches and castings of real world stick and throttles.

Thrustmaster_2960720_Hotas_Warthog_Flight_Stick_1290009664000_743173.jpg