• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO questions

M4 RPh

Licensed Drug Dealer
Hey, ladies and gents. I stumbled across this forum whilst googling and thought I'd stop in. First a bit about me....I'm 35 and I'm a pharmacist from Indiana. The last few years I've been kicking around the idea of serving- sometimes half joking with the Mrs, sometimes googling before bed etc. i finally made a decision at the end of January, so I contacted a navy recruiter to see if the Reserve might be interested.

I figured that since I'm married with a full time job that part time soldiering might be a better fit (and I do of course realize the risk of deployment). The recruiter was very professional and seemed interested- she asked about my medical history, any criminal convictions etc. she stated that the fiscal year for .mil starts in October and that most jobs become available then. She said we could start working on a packet and possibly going to MEPS before that.

I sent her my transcripts and resume but have not heard anything since. Should I wait until October to contact the recruiter again? Once a month just to show I'm still interested? She wasn't overly clear on the process or the steps involved.

unbroken

Naval officer
Welcome!

Definitely do not wait until October (!) Some applications are *due* then. I started filling out my application in March or April, and even working assiduously, it took me a good 5-6 months to get medically cleared, pull a packet together, get letters of rec, etc. So you want to allow yourself as much time as possible.

I would follow up in a week or two if you haven't heard anything.

What designators are you interested? You will need to interview with current officers in your chosen field, so determining this should be a priority.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey, ladies and gents. I stumbled across this forum whilst googling and thought I'd stop in. First a bit about me....I'm 35 and I'm a pharmacist from Indiana. The last few years I've been kicking around the idea of serving- sometimes half joking with the Mrs, sometimes googling before bed etc. i finally made a decision at the end of January, so I contacted a navy recruiter to see if the Reserve might be interested.

I figured that since I'm married with a full time job that part time soldiering might be a better fit (and I do of course realize the risk of deployment). The recruiter was very professional and seemed interested- she asked about my medical history, any criminal convictions etc. she stated that the fiscal year for .mil starts in October and that most jobs become available then. She said we could start working on a packet and possibly going to MEPS before that.

I sent her my transcripts and resume but have not heard anything since. Should I wait until October to contact the recruiter again? Once a month just to show I'm still interested? She wasn't overly clear on the process or the steps involved.

Only program you would qualify for is Reserve Pharmacy based off your background and that program is already filled for FY17. Reserve Pharmacy at the very most has only one quota, with some years having zero. Don't be surprised if next FY there isn't a spot available. If there is, be advised it's SUPER COMPETITIVE and even though you might meet the min requirements, the Program Manager or Recruiter might turn you down because you're not competitive enough.

Going back to your question, I would start picking up everything around May/June timeframe. That way when September/October comes around everything is good to go.

M4 RPh

Licensed Drug Dealer
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeah the recruiter was pretty honest about the number of jobs or lack thereof for my field. I'm under no illusion about the likelihood of being a candidate. I just wasn't sure of the process and I hadn't heard anything from the recruiter since sending her my transcripts.

I spoke to some of the other branches - the Guard, ANG, AF Reserve- and was told much the same: unless you're an MD or PA-c, we don't need you.

M4 RPh

Licensed Drug Dealer
So taking your advice, I followed up with the recruiter. She said this year is out but she would be willing to put together a packet in June for the next fiscal year.

As predicted, she warned me that spots are limited and highly competitive. Definitely implied my chances are slim but I don't care- I'm still going for it. I've got a lot of experience in my field to offer. In the mean time I will continue to physically train- some PT never hurt anyone.

I'll update as necessary. And thank you for the insight.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So taking your advice, I followed up with the recruiter. She said this year is out but she would be willing to put together a packet in June for the next fiscal year.

As predicted, she warned me that spots are limited and highly competitive. Definitely implied my chances are slim but I don't care- I'm still going for it. I've got a lot of experience in my field to offer. In the mean time I will continue to physically train- some PT never hurt anyone.

What kind of pharmacy work do you do? Pharmacy work is one thing, but leadership is making an impact is another. Did you save $millions? Improve efficiency/etc? Saved lives? I would ensure you include those major bullet points on your CV/resume.

OSUrower

So my first real application to be a DCO was in the spring of 2013, but started with the recruiter in Aug 2012. I was applying for medical technologist/lab officer. That has maybe 1 a year in the reserves, like pharmacy I guess it turns out.

Anyway, fall of 2013 I had my interviews and they went well. December comes and I get some follow up questions on what if any grad school I had done. Shortly after that I got notified that I was selected as an alternate with a pick up in fall of 2014 if there was money (there wasn't).

So started process again in June 2015, since I wanted my packet before the board come Oct 1. In August my recruiter goes MIA (he was becoming a chief and just kind of was gone for 3 months). He gets back but we missed the window to apply. I had started some grad classes in the hopes of boasting my chances and he had been in contact with my officer program's specialty leader. That guy had the recruiter pass on his contact info to me.

Turns out he really liked my kit when I applied and interviewed with him in 2013 and he wanted to help me polish my application up and get me selected.

So in May of 2016, I started my application again. I went to MEPS again and I interviewed again. And the persistence and improvement paid off. I commissioned in Jan this year and my first drill is this weekend.

I can send you my OR's info if you want to try talking to him about this. He claims to have a 95% success rate loL and he was trying to have me help him get contacts with the ER docs and nurses I work with.

But in all seriousness, it sounds like you're in a long shot program too. Don't give up if you aren't selected in the first go, try to see how to improve your kit if you aren't selected, leadership positions and experience are important too (or at least the lab's specialty leader said they were).

I'm coming up on 35 in a couple weeks, don't know if that's encouraging or not but I think you still have 7 more years to get a commission!

Good luck! Let me know if I can help!