• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO METOC Eligibility Questions

ocean26

Hello Everyone -

I posted this in the Naval Reserves forum first. Might be more relevant here...

I am a 26-year old graduate student who just a finished a Master's Degree in Chemical Oceanography. I am about to start a PhD in Physical Geography for which I will be transitioning more into Physical Oceanography. I am interested in maybe commissioning as a METOC Officer in the US Navy Reserves through the DCO program after I finish my Doctorate and find a job.

However, as an undergraduate, I was on a Type I Technical AFROTC Scholarship, for which I finished two years. Before Field Training, I declined my slot and elected to leave the program voluntarily which led to my subsequent disenrollment from the program and an Honorable Discharge from the USAF Inactive Reserves at the E-2 grade. Coming out of high school, I turned down appointments to the USAFA, USCGA, and USMA before settling on an AFROTC Scholarship. I am the middle of 5 boys, 3 of which hold commissions in the US Army and 1 who will commission into the USCG out of the academy in 2018. My father was also a hard-line Army officer who retired as an O-5 and thought an officers commission in the US Military was the only and best way forward for his sons.

After I left the program, I fulfilled the terms of my scholarship recoupment and repaid all of the money that was put towards my education. When looking through some old papers, I happened across my disenrollment paperwork from 2010, and looking through it, I came across my DD Form 785. In Section IV, I see option 5 - Definitely Not Recommended (for other future officer training) marked. I was a little surprised to find this since I left of my own free will, and was not kicked out for any integrity violations, substance abuse, arrests, or anything similar. I assume that this would definitely hurt my case if I apply for an officers commission in the US Navy Reserves in the future. I have come a long way since then, and my father never told me that commissioning routes like this and the NOAA Corps existed when I was younger either. My questions are:

1) Would the above completely exclude me from applying for an officers commission through the route I have outlined?

2) Is there anyway to have this outright changed?

3) Is there a way around this like a waiver?

If anyone has any other advice, it would be greatly appreciated. More questions to follow. Thank you in advance for all the help.

exNavyOffRec

DCO is for those that have many years of experience in the specific field they are applying for, so you really aren't who they look for.

yes it will hurt you, and DCO is very competitive so they will round file an application for the smallest thing.

you can apply to have it changed but you have to show they were wrong.

yes waivers are possible, but refer to my first two sentences.

ocean26

Thank you for the information. I thought the DCO METOC route was similar to a commission for a lawyer, doctor, or chaplain in that you needed the degree to qualify. I should have looked into it a little further. I will focus on my education and see where it leads. Nonetheless, good to know regardless.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the information. I thought the DCO METOC route was similar to a commission for a lawyer, doctor, or chaplain in that you needed the degree to qualify. I should have looked into it a little further. I will focus on my education and see where it leads. Nonetheless, good to know regardless.

you do need a degree to qualify, that is the first step, many other items after that to be competitive.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The Navy commissions about one OCEANO officer per FY via DIRCOM. It's just not a big need. Hard to say if you'd have a better chance coming from the street or the fleet.

If you're the lucky guy or gal selected for OCEANO DIRCOM, you do 7 weeks of BOAT with the AD component folks in Gulfport, MS.

Are you also looking at USCG, NOAA Corps, or federal civilian meteorology jobs?

Last edited: