• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Day in the life: AD vs. SELRES Intel officers

How similar are the day to day jobs of an 1830 Ensign and 1835 Ensign?

• 100% identical

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 90% alike

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80%

• 70%

• 60%

• 50%

• 40%

• 30%

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 20%

• 10%

• Total voters

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I've read all the current threads about new intel officers who are AD ship's company vs. air wing, as well as some SELRES intel officer info. Couldn't find everything that answers the question:

What are some differences in a typical "work" day for an O-1 1830 that aren't shared by an O-1 1835, and vice versa? e.g., finding a billet, leading other sailors, the average ratio of administrivia (e.g., gedunk mgr) to actual intel production/coord?

Any gouge, really, would be helpful. Anecdotes from those who've been there: invaluable. Also: vote in poll above.

Disclosure: I'm applying to be an 1835; I'm non prior service.

azguy

None
I think the major difference you're overlooking is the AD guy does it professionally while the reservist sits in the office by himself on the weekend doing NKO courses.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
AD is going to have a lot more opportunities to go out an be involved with the operational side of things. There have been opportunities for reservists to get away from their desk and do stuff out there (scan eagle dets come to mind if I recall correctly) but YMMV.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I've read all the current threads about new intel officers who are AD ship's company vs. air wing, as well as some SELRES intel officer info. Couldn't find everything that answers the question:

What are some differences in a typical "work" day for an O-1 1830 that aren't shared by an O-1 1835, and vice versa? e.g., finding a billet, leading other sailors, the average ratio of administrivia (e.g., gedunk mgr) to actual intel production/coord?

Any gouge, really, would be helpful. Anecdotes from those who've been there: invaluable. Also: vote in poll above.

Disclosure: I'm applying to be an 1835; I'm non prior service.

I'm not sure you are grasping the differences between AD and SELRES.

Depending on the duty status of an 1835 his or her job might be exactly like that of an 1830 or the complete opposite. For instance, I had an 1835 work for me for one year and he did everything that every 1830 did. He was on ADSW for the time and has since come off orders. Since then he only drilled on the weekends which couldn't be further from what an 1830 does on a daily basis.

If an 1835 got ADSW orders to a Squadron AI then his job would be exactly like an equivalent 1830.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the major difference you're overlooking is the AD guy does it professionally while the reservist sits in the office by himself on the weekend doing NKO courses.
Please, keep telling us all how Reservists aren't professionals. Seriously. We're waiting with bated breath for your sage wisdom.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
The problem is that even just being an 1830 can mean a lot. A squadron AI, the side of intel that most on here have likely seen, is quite different from what you'd do for most other intel jobs.

One thing I'm fairly certain that reservists don't do is stand duty on watchfloors.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Please, keep telling us all how Reservists aren't professionals. Seriously. We're waiting with bated breath for your sage wisdom.
I think all Azguy was trying to say was that, IN GENERAL, AD means that it's your primary bread winning job while SELRES, in general, means you do it as a second job outside of your primary bread winning job.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think all Azguy was trying to say was that, IN GENERAL, AD means that it's your primary bread winning job while SELRES, in general, means you do it as a second job outside of your primary bread winning job.
Fair enough. The "sits at a desk doing NKO courses" crack was what led me to pipe up about professionalism. That is a bit misleading in SELRES land. Yes, I've seen an inordinate focus on administrivia, to the point of seeing Admin Us handed out for sometimes trivial things, but the idea that as a reserve officer, you're going to do all your work on a DWE is farfetched. Yes, people have a civ job. But things like evals and awards, arranging schools, and all the other stuff tends to intrude on a day-to-day basis the whole year long.

LET73

Short answer, it depends. Some reservists do a bunch of active duty time, and do exactly the same jobs as their active duty counterparts. Others do more of the weekend NKO thing, and get called up for a couple weeks to support an exercise or something. If you take one-year active duty orders, you'll be essentially indistinguishable from an 1830. If you don't, you're going to spend your drill weekends getting all the admin stuff that you can't do the rest of the month, and then fitting in intel work after that (there's a reason reservists have five years to get the IDWO pin, compared to two years for active duty types).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is good stuff. I'm learning. What's an Admin U?

It's an administrative tool to motivate SELRES to do what's required rather than just consume oxygen and collect drill pay. It stands for "Administrative Unauthorized Absence" (even if you're actually present). If you get a certain number in a year, "they" can kick you out administratively.

NAVY680

This is good stuff. I'm learning. What's an Admin U?

Hair Warriors,
For us SELRES, a "U" is an unauthorized absence. There are two ways you usually get them:
1. Don't show up on drill weekend. A drill weekend consists of 4 drill periods, which if you didn't show up at all, that's 4 U's. At your 9th U, they can administratively separate you from the Navy. (Kick you out).
2. Not complete xyz tasker, which you were told to do. So as a punishment you get a U for that drill period.

Also, getting a U mean no money for that drill period....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hair Warriors,
For us SELRES, a "U" is an unauthorized absence. There are two ways you usually get them:
1. Don't show up on drill weekend. A drill weekend consists of 4 drill periods, which if you didn't show up at all, that's 4 U's. At your 9th U, they can administratively separate you from the Navy. (Kick you out).
2. Not complete xyz tasker, which you were told to do. So as a punishment you get a U for that drill period.

Just to clarify, you can get an Admin UA for something other than an actual drill period. You can earn 48 (or more) drills in a FY and still get 9+ Admin UAs if you blow off your requirements. Admin UAs are on top of a normal IDT/ADDRILL.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
False. If a member receives an Admin U, they still get paid. They just get no points for those drill periods, and must make them up using unpaid additionals if they want the points. SELRES is just like the AC; you can't deny someone pay without taking them to Mast or CM.

They're not "Admin UAs." They're "Admin Us." UA for an IDT period means you didn't show up, though unlike the AC, it's not a violation of Article 86, just a reason to deny you pay and points. An Admin U means you showed up yet failed to satisfactorily complete your drill requirements. Different animal. According to the letter of the MILPERSMAN, you must be warned of your delinquency, gaff that warning off, and then can be awarded an Admin U. As above, in that case, you still rate pay. But you get no points, and if you get 9 Admin Us or UAs combined in one calendar year, you shall be processed for ADSEP.

I'm an OSU AOIC in addition to my cross-assigned billet. Administrivia is my life . . . :confused:

Last edited: