• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dark brown flight boots? When did that happen?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Howdy.

I've been seeing dark brown flight boots in some of the avatar/profile pics here at AW. When did they start issuing dark brown flight boots? Do they also issue black flight boots? Just wondering since they only issued black flight boots (as far as I know) when I started back in 1986.

Got motivated and threw a little "AOCS" on the old black flight boots tonight. Note: Not RLP inspection ready.

image.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
started a few years ago. We still got black boots in API when I started, but I think starting a couple-5 years ago, the issuing of browns from day 1 began. I'm sure plenty of primary/int/adv IP's had aneurisms but whatever.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
started a few years ago. We still got black boots in API when I started, but I think starting a couple-5 years ago, the issuing of browns from day 1 began. I'm sure plenty of primary/int/adv IP's had aneurisms but whatever.
Got it...thanks, MIDNJAC.

From the pics I've see here, the dark brown flight boots look pretty good (imho).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Until a few years ago they issued black at API and you didn't get your brown boots until you hit the Fleet - not out of principle or anything, just that they had to be ordered through the supply system and the tracom and FRS weren't going to spend the money. I guess someone finally changed the contract.

Word I always heard was that the Red Wings aren't kosher for flying; I think because the little metal bootlace tabs could come off and become FOD. Thus the Bellevilles. That said - I agree the B'villes look goofy and I spent my own money on Red Wings.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Until a few years ago they issued black at API and you didn't get your brown boots until you hit the Fleet - not out of principle or anything, just that they had to be ordered through the supply system and the tracom and FRS weren't going to spend the money. I guess someone finally changed the contract.

Word I always heard was that the Red Wings aren't kosher for flying; I think because the little metal bootlace tabs could come off and become FOD. Thus the Bellevilles. That said - I agree the B'villes look goofy and I spent my own money on Red Wings.

It's actually the material that's the issue. It was found by the NSC that it had a tendency to ignite when extreme heat was applied. Yeah, I know...so does your skin. What I find interesting is that now we're required by direction of the Airboss to have velcro on our flight suit rather than making patches optional. And Velcro will go right through that Aramid when it's hot.

Something must have happened with the contract with Bellville, like you said, Fester. In the mid-2000's, black boots were ~$82 and Bellevilles were open purchased at ~$120, so I'm wondering if some agreement was made to bring the cost down and now everyone gets them issued rather than those stupid Frankenstein boots that started coming out at about the same time.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Are these the issued Belleville flight boots pictured below? If so, it's the first time I've seen them from the side...all the different leather panels/stitching appears sort of "busy" over there...not a clean look (imho). I changed my mind...they don't look spiffy...but I'm just a washed-up, used-to-be...so it doesn't matter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't TOPGUN wear black boots? Are there any other "rebels" out there that do the same?
Affirm...they wore black flight boots in TOPGUN.

Also, if I remember correctly, they only wore black low quarter shoes in TOPGUN since brown low quarter shoes were just about to hit the fleet. I remember following AOCS graduation in late 1986...the hot-to-trot shoe sales ladies at the NEX were all psyched because they wanted to sell us the 'new' brown low quarter shoes.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
So what model Red Wing is this that has been mentioned?

Pics please?

:D

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
On my third pair of brown Belvilles (the 330ST). Like them a lot when they're newish and the sole still has grip. Around year two they become progressively more slippery. Getting the black Belville (flight deck boot) for the sailors lately has been insanely painful. My LPO had them on order for a year, and no amount of bitching to supply on his behalf helped. My AWs generally like the 800ST Black Belville's over the shitty boots they were issued in A-School, so they tell me.

The Red Wings people mention are these . Have seen some folks get shit on for wearing them in regards to the Safety Center stuff.

There used to be a brown "CSAR Boot" for helo dudes too. It had insulation and a better hiking sole, but no steel toe. The Danner Olympic (nee Recon) in brown. Sadly, they no longer make them in brown, only black. If you're a proud owner, hang onto those bad boys.

For desert flight boots, my understanding is the only NAVAIR approved ones are the Belville's (330DES ST and the "hot weather" 340 DES ST). Not that I haven't seen dudes wear other ones in theater. If you ask supply for "Desert Flight Boots" you'll probably get the 330DES ST's.

BTW, this is a old version (20070 of the flight clothing pub. There's a newer version of the ALSS NATOPS I cannot find at home that has newer info and addresses new shit like two piece flight suits, Massif cold weather gear, CMU-37/38 vests, etc, etc. And yes, I'm kind of a flight gear nut.