• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CTI's on EP-3's??

Wrong forum, but I seek the collective wisdom of AW...
I'll be shipping out for RTC Great Lakes next month as a CTI recruit. The brief info sheet I received at MEPS mentions volunteering for sub duty and aircrew...If anyone's flown with CTI's on board, could you PM me any info about their role, especially if said role includes more than just having 'phones permanently affixed to their ears?? Are there any other platforms CTI's can be a part of? Lastly, are CTI's a legitimate (any sort of permanent?) part of the aircrew, or are we just brought on board when flying near Chistaniqan and then shipped off to our dark caves again?
Thanks all. It's not OCS, but it's what I need to do.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wrong forum, but I seek the collective wisdom of AW...
I'll be shipping out for RTC Great Lakes next month as a CTI recruit. The brief info sheet I received at MEPS mentions volunteering for sub duty and aircrew...If anyone's flown with CTI's on board, could you PM me any info about their role, especially if said role includes more than just having 'phones permanently affixed to their ears?? Are there any other platforms CTI's can be a part of? Lastly, are CTI's a legitimate (any sort of permanent?) part of the aircrew, or are we just brought on board when flying near Chistaniqan and then shipped off to our dark caves again?
Thanks all. It's not OCS, but it's what I need to do.

I probably have the most experience with CT air crew on this forum, but there is only so much I can say on the open internet.

As an aircrew or a rider on a ship ou are not really part of the crew, you are just a guest, sometimes for a few hours or sometimes for 6 months. Unfortunately you are shipped off to your hole after your guest tour. When you start out you will be stuck with 'phones to your ears, or studying. Only later on in our career, generally when you get to E-6 and up, will you take on more of a leadership role and get into different stuff. CT's can move up very rapidly though, so that may not be too long in coming if you are a hard charger. There were a lot of CT's that got into officer programs so there will be plenty of opportunity to apply for those programs. Also, when you get to a shore tour the opportunity to take college classes, there are great opportunities at most of the shore locations.

Best of luck, please feel free to PM me if you want to know more or have any specific questions. It is a growth area and you will have endless employment oportunites, especially if you study in the right area.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Wrong forum, but I seek the collective wisdom of AW....

Brandon, congratulations. Of course we cannot, will not discuss details. However, it was the most exciting, meaningful and sometimes downright boring times of my life. It is far more than wearing a set of "cans" on your head. Visit WWW.USNCVA.ORG. NSA has recently declassified a bunch of stuff, visit there as well. They also have some links. Also read "Blind Man's Bluff" by Sontag and Drew. There is also a interesting book on the USS Thresher that stirs the immagination, have not read it but is on my list.

I volunteered for anything and everthing, and did just about all. One hell of a ride. Worked with the best and the brightest. Never was on an EP-3, they are far too new for me! EC-121, EA-3s, RB-66's, just about every CVA in the Old Navy, Tin Cans and a few sewer pipes, mostly Regulus configured boats, what a story that was. Also got involved in things that I should not have been involved with.

Again, congrats, exciting times ahead.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brandon, congratulations. Of course we cannot, will not discuss details. However, it was the most exciting, meaningful and sometimes downright boring times of my life. It is far more than wearing a set of "cans" on your head. Visit WWW.USNCVA.ORG. NSA has recently declassified a bunch of stuff, visit there as well. They also have some links. Also read "Blind Man's Bluff" by Sontag and Drew. There is also a interesting book on the USS Thresher that stirs the immagination, have not read it but is on my list.

I volunteered for anything and everthing, and did just about all. One hell of a ride. Worked with the best and the brightest. Never was on an EP-3, they are far too new for me! EC-121, EA-3s, RB-66's, just about every CVA in the Old Navy, Tin Cans and a few sewer pipes, mostly Regulus configured boats, what a story that was. Also got involved in things that I should not have been involved with.

Again, congrats, exciting times ahead.

Sorry Chief, forgot you were a CT type........:eek:

Brandon, better to listen to a actual CT than one who just harassed them........;)