• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Could a T-6B defeat a P-51 in a dogfight?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I sometimes couldn't beat a T-6 in a T-6 dogfighting... but seriously, I think the point of top gun is to teach you that the airplane means less than you think about who will win.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
466824406_1280x720.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It'll turn on a Hornet in a level engagement. The control forces in the T-6 are also much lighter than in the P-51 from what I hear. It's certainly an interesting topic but I might put my money on the T-6.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The T-6 is about 3000lbs lighter with 400-600 less horsepower. I imagine adding six .50 calibers would close the gap on weight somewhat.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Way too lazy to look, but I wonder if an E/M diagram is available in the open source for either aircraft. That's really the way to tell if/when either would have an advantage in a rate or radius fight. T-6 might be close-hold due to potential military sales, though. And the P-51 may never have had anyone who cared who was enough of an aerospace engineering nerd to make one up.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AT-6... sweet plane and better than the super tucano apparently

The Super Tucano has two internal 50 cals and is already combat proven, AT-6 has to carry guns in pods and no combat record thus far. It is no accident the Super Tucano won the competition for Light Air Suport program.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
;)
The Super Tucano has two internal 50 cals and is already combat proven, AT-6 has to carry guns in pods and no combat record thus far. It is no accident the Super Tucano won the competition for Light Air Suport program.
I was only going off of the beech chief test pilot for the T-6 program who got an opportunity to fly the super tucano and said it was very limited when actually loaded out and his pilot freaked out with some of the maneuvers he wanted to try in the tucano that he would have been able to do in the AT-6 with equivalent loadout. Granted, this is from a beech company man, but other than being an operator at the time, I was not a "client" so I don't see why he would feel the need to so adamantly skew the truth to me, but take it with a grain of salt. Hence the "apparently".... ;)