• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Confused on Flight Physical for Navy Pilot

Solon Skarlatos

Ok, so I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but here it goes:
The first Flight Physical I will receive will be in OCS, correct?
The reason for my question is because I am applying for pilot and feel I am qualified but I'm unsure as to how the process works. I feel they would want to check my eyes, etc prior to sending me to OCS? I believe the Air Force and Marines have you do a Flight Physical prior to OCS. Anyways, insight into this would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Solon Skarlatos

Counterintuitive how? I am thinking you believe that because you are not familiar with the processes.
Obviously I am not familiar as I am not in the Navy lol. I'm saying that because if someone like myself is interested in flying in the Navy, why send me to OCS after having gone through all the bureaucracy just to find out that I would possibly be ineligible? Is it crazy for me to think that is not exactly efficient... Or is there a reason for this?

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Obviously I am not familiar as I am not in the Navy lol. I'm saying that because if someone like myself is interested in flying in the Navy, why send me to OCS after having gone through all the bureaucracy just to find out that I would possibly be ineligible? Is it crazy for me to think that is not exactly efficient... Or is there a reason for this?

cost, the number of people that get DQ'd from aviation in OCS is low compared to the number that go to OCS, the cost to pay for the flight, hotel, food, etc... outweighs the cost of just sending them to OCS, and many of those that get DQ'd decide to go into other designators which reduces the cost.

The USMC has smaller numbers that go into aviation so the cost is less.

The USAF get most of their pilots from USAFA and AFROTC so few are actually selected via OTS, so their cost is minimal as well, if at all considering there have been times were some areas had no pilots selected for OTS.

Solon Skarlatos

cost, the number of people that get DQ'd from aviation in OCS is low compared to the number that go to OCS, the cost to pay for the flight, hotel, food, etc... outweighs the cost of just sending them to OCS, and many of those that get DQ'd decide to go into other designators which reduces the cost.

The USMC has smaller numbers that go into aviation so the cost is less.

The USAF get most of their pilots from USAFA and AFROTC so few are actually selected via OTS, so their cost is minimal as well, if at all considering there have been times were some areas had no pilots selected for OTS.
Ah ok, simple enough. I'm just paranoid I will somehow be ineligible even though my eye doctor said I am gtg. I just don't wanna go to OCS and get DQ'd on arrival. Thanks for the answer.

exNavyOffRec

Ah ok, simple enough. I'm just paranoid I will somehow be ineligible even though my eye doctor said I am gtg. I just don't wanna go to OCS and get DQ'd on arrival. Thanks for the answer.

your PQ letter to go to board will be based on what MEPS readings are, then once at OCS you will get another look, whatever your personal eye doc says doesn't matter.

Solon Skarlatos

Ok great, I think I did well at MEPS, at least my recruiter said so. yeah I had my optometrist give me a more extensive checkup to just see if there are any small things that might DQ me.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
This thread could have completed in 2 posts.

Next time just answer his damn question instead of being a smartass. I did like his response though.

Because we all know we send our best and brightest to recruiting duty.

So you're suggesting I spoon feed him the answer?

Also, perhaps his recruiter was busy and/or on leave. The OP's post took place during Thanksgiving weekend. He could have followed up with a phone call.

Solon Skarlatos

So you're suggesting I spoon feed him the answer?

Also, perhaps his recruiter was busy and/or on leave. The OP's post took place during Thanksgiving weekend. He could have followed up with a phone call.
Lmao, this all happened a month ago or more. And yes, that is why I am asking the question in the first place...