• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conditioning the 5k

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenAzali

Hey All,
Im trying to get a slot as SNA, but the only thing thats holding me back is the 3 mile run. I need to shave off something like 15 minutes with a target of 23 mins, yea 15 minutes off. Sit ups and pull ups - no problem. Obviously I'm not in shape yet, but does anybody have any plans or suggestions to give me. I've about 12 weeks etc. Thats about a little over 1 minute off a week. Is that even physically possible?

jet_ifr

Try this workout schedule...it mirrors what I do, seemed to work for me.

Week 1,2: MW, 3 miles/day, as fast as you can. TTh, stretch, and lift weights (light w/12-15 reps). F, 4 mile run, at easy pace.

Week 3,4: MW, 4 miles/day, as fast as you can. TTh, stretch, and lift weights (less light w/10-12 reps). F, 5 mile run, at easy pace.

Be sure to stretch before bed during weeks 3 & 4 as your legs will be hurting more. Most lower extremity injuries occur during week 3-4 in a training cycle.

Week 5,6: MW, 4 miles/day as fast as you can. Keep the weights going in the mid rep range until week 7. F, 5 mile run all out.

Week 7,8: MW, 5 miles/day @ 80% pace. Start decreasing the reps and increasing the weight lifting. F, 5 mile run all out.

Week 9,10: MW, 5.5 miles/day @ 70% pace. Continue w/7-10 reps and mid level weight w/lifting. F 6 miles easy pace.

Week 11: MW 4 miles/day all out. Go light on the weight w/12-15 reps. F MAX distance (8-10?) easy pace.

Week 12: M 4 miles. W 3 miles. (all out for MW) F 5 miles. Just do maintenance lifting this week.

Week 13: Rest

Things to remember: STRETCH often. Ice anything at first sign of soreness. Drink LOTS of water. Get a good pair of running shoes. Eat right. Stay motivated.

Good Luck,

jet

I fly. Me pilot?

AllenAzali

Them streches are gonna kill. Thanks Bro, much appreciated! Maybe replace the weights with some cross training, like cycling. I'm a little bulked up and it seems like its the muscle that is slowing me down. Also my my recruiter just gave me a very similar plan couple of hours ago, I will be posting that in a little bit.

AllenAzali

This is off a pamplet my recruiter gave to me. Its for preparing to go to OCS rather than for the 3 mile PFT.

12 Week Preparation Program

circuit 1 men
pulls 3/3/3, crunches 20/20/20, push 10/10/15
circuit 1 women
flex arm hang (secs) 20/20/20, crunches 15/15/15, push ups 5/5/5
circuit 2 men
pulls 6/6/6, crunches 30/30/30, push 20/20/20
circuit 2 women
flex arm hang (secs) 25/25/25, crunches 20/20/20, push 10/10/10
circuit 3 men
pulls 9/9/9, crunches 40/40/40, push 30/20/20
circuit 3 women
flex arm hang (secs) 30/30/30, crunches 25/25/25, push 25/25/25

Monday - Rest Day

Tuesday
Weeks 1-3. 2 mile run / curcuit 1
4. 3 mile run / curcuit 1
5. 3 mile run / curcuit 2
6. 2 mile run (boots) / curcuit 2
7. 2 mile run (boots) / curcuit 2
8. 4 mile run / curcuit 2
9. 3 mile run (boots) / curcuit 3
10. 5 mile run / curcuit 3
11. 3 mile run (boots) / curcuit 3
12. 6 mile run / curcuit 3

Wednesday
Weeks 1-4. rest
5. 3 mile run
6. 4 mile run
7. rest
8. 4 mile run
9. 5 mile run
10. 4 mile run
11. 5 mile run
12. 4 mile run

Thursday
Weeks 1-2. 2 mile run / circuit 1
Weeks 3-4. 3 mile run / circuit 1
Weeks 5-8. 4 mile run / circuit 2
9. 4 mile run / circuit 3
10. 5 mile run / circuit 3
11. 5 mile run / circuit 3
12. 6 mile run / circuit 3

Friday - rest day

Saturday
Weeks 1-4. circuit 1
5. circuit 2
6. 2 mile hike (boots) / circuit 2
7. circuit 2
8. 4 mile hike (boots) / circuit 2
9. circuit 3
10. 6 mile hike (boots) / circuit 3
11. circuit 3
12. 8 mile hike (boots) / circuit 3

Sunday
Weeks 1-2. 3 mile run
Weeks 3-4. 4 mile run
5. 5 mile run
6. rest
7. 6 mile run
8. rest
9. 7 mile run
10. rest
11. 8 mile run
12. rest

because each plan depends on the physiology (is that right?) of someones body I've started a little strategy for those whom prefer to train on a treadmill. It is based off the sprint/jog exercise found on:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

because Im sluggish my normal pace rate is around 4.5 mi/hr, to hit the 3mile in around 23 min the pace rate needs to be approx 7.5 mi/hr.

during the running sessions, warm up for a couple of minutes at the normal pace rate (mine is 4.5) then jump the rate to the target pace rate (7.5 or higher) for as long as you can go. then go back to your normal pace rate to rest. Keep a time of how long you can go at the target pace rate. as your body gets used to the target pace rate you should be able to progress from a couple of seconds to a few minutes. Keep in mind that you have to hold the target rate at 23 mins. Im trying it at about 30 min sessions every other day. Play with this and work the plan to fit your own condition.

jet_ifr

Depends on your diet goal...If you want to shed lbs, cut your daily intake by 350 cals/day, over time you'll loose weight. If you want to maintain weight but get ripped, lift weights and eat lots of protein. Basic tips? Switch to diet pop, drink water continually until you piss clear all the time, pay attention to what you stuff in your mouth. Skip the Twinkies and pizza, try a salad instead. Eat low fat, but watch the carb content. Drink light beer...just basically keep in mind the quality of what you eat. Good luck dude-

I fly. Me pilot?

Brandon Kelly

Hey im a student in high school and i have been training for a nrotc scholarship and to train for the 5k i joined the cross country team. The best way to train is put in the miles. Alot of them and make sure you buy new shoes every 3 months or less cause if you hurt your shins you will be in all kind of trouble i know from experience.

Lt_SNA_USMC

Remember, 3500 calories = 1 pound of body fat. ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) recommends losing no more than 1-2 lbs of body weight per week. That's a 3500 - 7000 calorie deficit per week. Ex/ if you cut 350 calories per day (350 cal deficit), you'll lose 1 lb in 10 days. What we recommend (exercise physiologists), is setting a weight loss goal (ex 10 lbs), X 3500 = total number of calories needed to expend= 35000. 35000 calories in 10 weeks (example) = 3500 cal/week = 1 lb per/week. 3500 cal in 7 days = 500 calories per day. Cut 250 out of your normal diet, expend the other 250 in exercise. You have a deficit of 500/day, 3500 per week, and you'll lose 1 lb per week. Hope this helped. Oh--and stay away from fad diets (hollywood diet, thermospeed, metabolife, etc). If you have a heavy frame, like me I use to be a powerlifter, stay away from weights. They will just keep you heavy. Trust me. Try the Navy Seal workout. It's all over the internet--you'll find it. It's all running, swimming, pushups, pullups, dips and abdominal work. It's awesome. 50-65% of your diet should be carbohydrate. It is what your body wants to use as energy. Extra protein will not make you ripped. Get adequate protein to maintain and rebuild muscle (1 gm per kg bodyweight, contrary to what bodybuilders will tell you) Extra protein will store as fat, as will anything extra (fat, carbs or protein). If you are running a lot, a high protein diet will hurt you. Your body can only use 10-15 % of the protein it consumes as energy to do work. It actually raises your body temp because it requires so much of your system to digest it and convert it to glucose to use as energy. Fat is the best energy source, but because it is high calorie, it may be too good (9 cal per gram as opposed to 4 cal per gram for carb and protein). Fat is used as energy only after about 20 minutes of continuous exercise (ex/ during an average run, the first 17-22 minutes your body uses glucose or stored carbs called glycogen, then switches to fat for energy) Fat is energy for submax exercise. It does not fuel exercise like sprints or weightlifting. It kicks in for endurance exercise. Alcohol has 7 cal per gram and is biochemically digested like fat. Stay away from it all together if you are trying to lose weight. I was an Exercise Science mjr in college, so this stuff is my thing. Hope this helped.
Lt Williamson

davidsin

I'll help you shave that time off Allan...so UCLA sunday right?

Because the foolishness of God is wiser then men, and the weakness of God is stronger then men.

1 Corithians 1:25

AllenAzali

Yea man, I really need that. I'll give you phone call soon.

P.S. In reguards to the other post about swimming. A recruiter who went for NFO told me at API its something like 1 mile, any stroke, in full flight gear, in under an hour I believe.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Unless it has changed,

1 mile in a flight suit, no boots, any stroke in under 1 hour. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey,

Just wanted to let anyone know that was trying AllenAzali's treadmill program that 7.5mi/hr gave me just about 24 min on the dot for the 3 mile. I tried 8 and I didn't make it all the way through but it was giving me somewhere around 1.40-1.45 per lap. Might just be my treadmill but I just wanted to give the info.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
The following running program worked for me.

https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs/conpro.pdf

I used to not be able to run over 1.5 miles.. and that was at a 14 minute pace... now I can run 3 miles in less than 21 minutes.

Run 3 times a week and lift weights on your off days. Also remember that treadmill time will always make you think you're running faster than you can without a treadmill due to no wind resistance, curves and hills.

Also, check out the following link from Men's Health on what a "Fit Man" should be able to accomplish:

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness2/fitmancan.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.