• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College student reserves to active duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCSCAND

I have been considering joining the USNR and after completing my undergraduate studies, applying for OCS. I am currently a junior and will be graduating in a year and a half. Essentially I want a career in the Navy, but would also like to get a jump start on my career if possible. My question is, should I join the reserves and apply for commission after graduation, or just wait until I graduate and apply for OCS? Another issue is the likelihood of being called to active duty before I graduate. A reserve recruiter recently informed me that one is typically not eligible to be called up for the first two years of the reserve commitment due to the lack of MOS training. I am somewhat skeptical regarding this and any info on this topic or being called up in general would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Want2Fly

Short and to the point, don't join enlisted it will only create more obstacles and it really won't benefit you much to justify doing so. Yes, you could get called up especially these days. Recruiter says there is a two year grace period? Put it in writting or else it's just blah blah blah. I am in the USMC Reseves and I thought it would help being enlisted before becoming an officer. It is just a pain in the butt. I decided not to become an officer in the USMC because the majority of our pilots fly old helicopters. Our yeah and I am almost half way through a 2 year activation. Don't chance it. Let me ask you something. Have you looked at the AirForce? If not, do so immediately. That is absolutely the best service to be a part of. They have the best aircraft and the most. I hope this helps.

I don't know if you are interested in being a pilot or not. But the AirForce will still treat you the best.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Want2fly is on the wrong forum if he thinks he can promote the Air Farse without a fight. Anyone wanting a debate on AF vs Navy can do a search of the subject and find a spirited exchange. The AF loses. Consider Want2flys perspective too. He is a Marine and on a recall he obviously is ticked off about it. He isn't even interested in the Navy, but the AF. The question was about the Navy Reserve and an application to Navy OCS. I have recruited both active and reserve officers for several years and have been a reservist myself for over 15 years. It absolutely does help you get selected for OCS if you have been a reservist. The board has a record of your military performance and dedication to the Navy. They know you know what you are getting into because you have experienced the military environment. If you screw up, it won't help you, of course. As a reservist you have a network of senior officers that can write you letters of recommendation and provide mentoring. Can you be recalled? Yes!! Is it likely? Depends on your rate (speciality/MOS). The recruiter is correct that it isn't likely if you have less then 2 years because of your lack of rate training. If you chose a rate that the Navy is not particularly short of then you wouldn't likely be recalled. A rate like Hospital Corpman is in high demand but the schools are long and you are useless unless fully trained. Seabees are also needed, but they do much of their training over the two weeks active duty every year. That is why you are not likely to be recalled for two years. Ask the recruiter what unit you would likely end up in and then find out if any of their people have been recalled. All that said, we are at war and if you put on the uniform almost anything is possible. All in all, if you can get a rate that interests you and is low on the probablility of recall, I'd say it is a worthwhile course of action. Watch your age. Age limits have been lowered. Don't let too many birthdays pass.

Want2Fly

Well I guess we all will have our biased opinions. I am interested in the Navy. Would it be wrong for someone to join a service if that service was their second choice? That is a rhetorical question bye the way. All I meant to say was, explore your options. Bye the way, I am not ticked off about being activated. A little surprised at it being 2 years though. As you can imagine it does interfere with college work. I am simply putting it into perspective for an individual who does not know what can happen. Semper Fi

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think I would be ticked off by a 2 year activation. It is unsual, even these days. What is your MOS and unit?

bmcnamara

I am currently a sophomore at a community college, but I have every intent of going through the Marine Corps platoon leadership course and becoming a pilot. I am also considering joining the Marine reserves for a couple of years until I get my degree. Looking at the world today, would it be better to just wait and become an officer and pilot or go ahead and enlist and run the risk of being activated/deployed and delaying completing college?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you don't need the extra money or otherwise have a burning desire to get into a uniform as soon as possible, I'd just stay with school and get the best possible grades and finish ASAP. As stated above, it does help to be in the reserves. But there is a risk of recall. If you think you would have a competitive application without the reserve participation boost, then skip it. If you are a sophomore you will probably be a candidated for PLC very soon anyway. Look into PLC now.

Clux4

Banned
Don't do it if you thinking of the Marine Corps. There is almost a 6 month rotation that applies to just about every Unit/MOS. Plus the fact that they are re-training and sticking guys where they are needed. Listen to wink he his telling you the holy word.
It is definitely a good idea, but the timing looks bad.

For the Want2fly, yes USMC pilots fly old aircrafts, but as long as they get the job done then it really does not matter. The aircraft is not mine it is the taxpayers so I don't see any reason to brag about it. You right the Air Force has nice bases.

From what I understand you sound like you will be making a move ones you contract is over. Let me just tell you that 85% of Air Force pilots come from the Academy and another percentage from ROTC, so there is really few slots for guys like you. (The Corps or the Navy might still be your best option unless you like to fly helos for the Army)

Bevo16

pilot
It is really this simple. Don't sign a contract for something that you don't want to do. If you join the USMC reserves, you probably need to count on being called up right away and spending your time carrying an M-16 someplace hot and full of sand. If you want to be a combat pilot, join the Navy or Marine Corps and you will be a happy man. If you want to be a FedEx pilot in uniform, join the Air Force.

Physicx

Banned
I understand that this is a Navy,Marine website and its your job to make the Air Force look bad.But Bevo is full of crap.I don't understand where he is getting his info but I have never seen an Air Force pilot where a Fedex uniform.I know its a joke but it makes no sense.Don't you all wear the same uniform.Any ways the reasoning I am posting this to let the oringal poster not to believe this garbage.The armed forces are there for a purpose and to do a job.Why can't we just all get along.

Bevo16

pilot
Kid, I am sorry that you didn't get the joke. The simple fact is that the AF has a LOT of transport pilots (that is the FedEx reference), and a much lower percentage of their pilots are in combat roles than any other service.

The services get along just fine, if you can't understand a light hearted joke and inter-service rivalry, maybe you should put down your Physicx book and develop a sence of humor.

bmcnamara

I appreciate the feedback. I am eligible for the PLC program, which I intend to do. Although I want to fly, I want to be a Marine first, but I also know that with the possibility of deployment and front line duties, I will be at least a year behind in college, and that would be me back a little for becoming an officer. I will have to consider it some more, but I will probably go ahead and finish college first.

Physicx, I can take a joke, plus I am very involved in the Civil Air Patrol, and we do a lot with the Air Force, so I know what that branch is like. Also, there is nothing wrong with the Air Force, If the Marines need to get a lot of equipment to a location in a hurry, they can always rely on those "FedEx pilots" in uniform to do the job. Just as long as it is into a moderate climate with good hotels and the operations can begin at 0900 and end at 1600.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Little advice from someone who's seen the reserves up close and personal (was XO of a reserve center).......stay in college! Get your degree.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
I've been in the Navy Reserve for just over two years now, so I can give you some info...

Right now they're only looking for MA's, Corpsmen, and Seabee's unless you have something extraordinary to offer. Once you enlist (and complete Phase 1- indoc weekend) you will attend Phase 2- 6 drill weekends (at least 6 months) before you attend a 17 day bootcamp (Phase 3). During the drills leading up to boot you will be attending classes ranging from Naval History to grooming to customs and courtesies. Your bootcamp is an abreviated course revolving around damage control, firefighting, and other basic sailor skills. When you are done with bootcamp you will go back to drill. You will begin Phase 4 which is more classes that are slightly more indepth. This could take a few more drill weekends. At this same time you will be attending rate training and working on your correspondence rating manuals. You complete all of your phases once you have finished the following:
indoc weekend
pre-bootcamp training
bootcamp
additional post-bootcamp training
84 days of contact= drill weekend is 2 days, bootcamp is 17, AT/IDT 12 days; these must add up to 84 before you can be mobilized outside CONUS
complete BMR, airman/seaman/fireman, military requirements for 3rd class PO, and associated rating books.
pass your E-4 exam

At this point in time YOU WILL NOT BE DEPLOYED until your 84 days and subsequent training are finished. This could take well over two years based upon how quickly you can finish everything.

So, the recruiter is correct, for the most part.

All that being said- consider applying for BDCP so you can attend OCS once you get your degree. I enlisted during my "sabbatical" from college (long story) and I graduated last November (2003). My OCS application went out about 5 weeks ago, so I am anxiously awaiting any info.

Good Luck!

ladybug

Jolly Roger's fiance
Ok no clue abotu the Navy but, I am an Army brat (I know, and my SO wants to go into the Navy). As far as I know, as long as you are in school, you cannot be called to active duty. BUT, as soon as you graduate you are free game. The military can call you active if they want. As for how long after you leave the service, again no clue for Navy but, my father almost got reactivated for duty adn he has been retired for almost 8 yrs ( in case the question comes up about rank and duty- Retired as LTC went in as an Officer in the Engineer Core). Just my knowledge about the military.

Status
Not open for further replies.