• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GOUGE CMP M1 Garands - Opportunity

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
CMP Garand M1 rifles will not be around forever. The CMP is getting creative with their stash of GI parts and receivers and recently released a very special "Field Grade" rifle - basically a refinished receiver mated to many newer or new parts - including a new barrel and stock.

A member of our shooting club just received one and its a sight to behold. At $830, shipped to your door, its a bargain.

From CMP website:

CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.

The mentioned "pitting" was minor. Really only slightly cosmetic of an issue.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

I have had my M1 for 6 years now and its a pleasure to shoot. A "Rack" grade rifle, it was received in amazing condition with throat and chamber wear well below what was advertised as the graded condition (the rifle you get is almost always much better that what you are signing up for)

If you are remotely a gun guy, don't hesitate to get yourself an M1 and a bit of history.

Pags

N/A
pilot
So if someone were to jump at this what is the process and which weapon in CMP's current inventory would you recommend pursuing?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
So if someone were to jump at this what is the process and which weapon in CMP's current inventory would you recommend pursuing?

Honestly, any of the CMP Garands is going to be a good deal, from the lowest grade up to the highest.

The "standard" CMP gun is a Service Grade, so for someone who is only going to own one, I'd try to start with one of those if they were available. However, as @ChuckMK23 said above, even the Field Grades and Rack Grades are good shooter-quality rifles. I've owned several of each over the years and they've all been good shooters (with variation in finish quality, stock quality, and barrel wear over the spectrum).

That being said, CMP inventory has been slimming year over year and they seem to be getting near the end (by which I mean, essentially the end of the CMP Garand forever). They just recently received a medium-sized batch of rifles returned from the Philippines, which may be one of the last sources, so if you're interested in getting one do it now and don't wait. Or, at least start hawking the CMP forums and waiting for the PI rifles to be released while you get your CMP membership and paperwork in order.

The process for anyone in the military is easy: contact CMP customer service (which I think is custserv@thecmp.org but don't quote me on that), and they'll have you send them a copy of your military ID. I know sending mil ID copies is a controversial issue, but I went through this with the JAG about 8 years ago when I was on active duty and they said it was fine to send CMP a copy to prove your eligibility.

Your ID proves the two required components of CMP membership: Membership in a recognized shooting/marksmanship club/organization, and participation in an approved marksmanship activity/competition.

Details on eligibility are here:
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

Once you get your membership squared away, ordering a rifle requires a paper order form be both notarized and mailed in. Order forms are here:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/ordering-information/

Not all types/grades of rifles are available at all times. Stuff comes and goes over the months and years. In the past, Krags and trapdoor Springfields and M1917s and M1903s and M1903A3s and M1 Carbines have all been available in addition to every variant of Garand. Right now pickins are slim, and they're down mostly to the re-barreled and re-stocked "Special" Garands. I used to have a Special that came with a with a Criterion barrel, and it was a terrific shooter. If you're thinking about buying one of the .308 Specials in the OP, don't worry that the non-USGI barrel and stock will hurt its value: the CMP provenance is perhaps more value than just an all-USGI rifle from an undocumented source. They are a *very* good deal.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're handing out walnut stock sets now? Sheesh. I got a crappily stained birch POS stock I switched out for walnut. Jump on that shit!

ChuckMK23

pilot
Right now there is a batch of Special Field Grade rifles - $830, new walnut stock, new barrel. Amazing condition rifle. This includes FEDEX shipping to your door (no FFL required).

Time from order to delivering averaging 80 days - not bad.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The membership and participation in a marksmanship org seems like it might be the long pole for me.

ChuckMK23

pilot
I promise you it isn't. Anythging will do. You can even join the M1 Garand association for $25 bucks. But also your Military CAC card will be fine as well for meeting this requirement.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I promise you it isn't. Anythging will do. You can even join the M1 Garand association for $25 bucks. But also your Military CAC card will be fine as well for meeting this requirement.
No more military CAC card these days.

Joining an org is easy. Is participation defined as actively shooting with them or just renewing your memebership when the time comes?

ChuckMK23

pilot
So any club will do - and in short order join the Garand Collectors Association (GCA, $25, online).

I did it with my USPSA membership - but this needn't be an obstacle.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'd call CMP on Monday and just ask the nice lady on the phone. Your DD-214 may be enough to cover both requirements. Otherwise, pay the $25 that Chuck mentions and provide a copy of your -214 for proof of service.

Here's a Correct Grade (top rifle) with the stock refinished by BlkPny before he passed. He was kind of enough to really make the tiger stripe come out. Bottom one is a Field Grade that I still haven't done anything to, but it shoots great.

36080166672_d8b755d900_b.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd call CMP on Monday and just ask the nice lady on the phone. Your DD-214 may be enough to cover both requirements. Otherwise, pay the $25 that Chuck mentions and provide a copy of your -214 for proof of service.

Here's a Correct Grade (top rifle) with the stock refinished by BlkPny before he passed. He was kind of enough to really make the tiger stripe come out. Bottom one is a Field Grade that I still haven't done anything to, but it shoots great.

36080166672_d8b755d900_b.jpg
Roger; thanks all for the gouge.