• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Closed Field Ops @ Whiting

Brunes

pilot
Ladies and Gents-
My CO wants to attend a retirement @ Whiting on Friday- As a dutiful CP-Called over there today and got told that the field doesn't open until 0900...NO if's, and, or buts. Option A) Thurs night and RON or B) Arrive @ 0900 for a 0900 ceremony. Neither is acceptable. Set a PPR for 0900...but still need to fix it.

Before I request tactical application of the O5-Is there some one out there that has the airfield manager's number or a good number for an OPS type who can approve an early landing?? We operate over here ALOT during closed hours and I'll park it out of the way....Just don't want to get in trouble showing up early.

Would be greatly appreciative and would certainly deliver adult beverages or local NOLA food in exchange for the hook up.

Thanks!!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If you can get closed field ops approved I will 1) shit a brick and 2) eat that brick.

That being said, your best bet might be to fly to Milton-T (sorry, "Peter Prince Airport") and have the HT-28 duty driver come pick you up.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One of the top five rules in OPNAV that needs to get changed. It's something from another, bygone, era, I'm convinced.

squorch2

pilot
Closed field ops at a Navy base? Need base CO's approval!

Closed field ops at a civilian field? What approval?

Brunes

pilot
Closed field ops at a Navy base? Need base CO's approval!

Closed field ops at a civilian field? What approval?

Yeah...I know the memo that lets us do it is pretty seriez bizniz....
Thanks for the info guys. I had my doubts about this being something an LT could do...I might try the Peter Prince thing tho...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
One thought to consider, if the field is closed and something happens (Class A) there is the possibility that the NAS could be singled out as a contributing factor. For example, the runway was not safe for ops, but since the field is closed, it's not a big deal.

Now do you think an NAS CO is going to be keen on aircraft flying from his runways when there is ZERO air traffic control or manned crash crews? I doubt there would be many senior officers who will be willing to put THEIR career on the line due to allow someone to do something that they have no control over.

Closed field ops may make your life easier, but those who are reaponible for base ops will probably be very resistant to it. Until you can show that a squadron can not maintain readiness because field hours are restrictive, I don't think you find any senior leadership pushing to allow for closed field ops.

And before the JOPA start saying this is part of the problem, ask yourself how often you let work done by the Petty Oficers in your Division go to the front office but without being checked by yourself? You probably won't because you can't trust everyone not to be stupid.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
If you want, I have all the contact info for the Chief Flight Instructor at Milton (I just finished IFS there). HT helos park there often and they don't ask too many questions.

Brunes

pilot
One thought to consider, if the field is closed and something happens (Class A) there is the possibility that the NAS could be singled out as a contributing factor. For example, the runway was not safe for ops, but since the field is closed, it's not a big deal.

Now do you think an NAS CO is going to be keen on aircraft flying from his runways when there is ZERO air traffic control or manned crash crews? I doubt there would be many senior officers who will be willing to put THEIR career on the line due to allow someone to do something that they have no control over.

Closed field ops may make your life easier, but those who are reaponible for base ops will probably be very resistant to it. Until you can show that a squadron can not maintain readiness because field hours are restrictive, I don't think you find any senior leadership pushing to allow for closed field ops.

And before the JOPA start saying this is part of the problem, ask yourself how often you let work done by the Petty Oficers in your Division go to the front office but without being checked by yourself? You probably won't because you can't trust everyone not to be stupid.

I can see where you are coming from...but that doesn't mean that's it's not super conservative on the boardline paranoid side. Bad things can happen with towers open during Day VMC. Considering the amount of time I spend operating in the night "VFR" environment where almost NO fields are open...I have a very different view about the whole thing.
The petty officers that worked for me in the past didn't have the training to write memos or write/route reports...I did. So yes..I looked at their written submissions. I did not however tell them how to do the maint or their shop tasking (I many times let them tell me so I knew how.) Flying is our work...My opinion-It's bad enuf that the helo can phone patch to home plate, worry about a Class A inside a 5 NM ring of air and being blamed cause tower was still getting coffee is a bit over the top...

But I'll work with the CO and see what his thoughts are. Thanks for the input one and all!!

squorch2

pilot
I doubt there would be many senior officers who will be willing to put THEIR career on the line due to allow someone to do something that they have no control over.
MCAS's do this (closed field ops) a lot.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Yeah Yuma is dual use and there are plenty of bug smashers doing closed field ops every morning. Not sure what the rules are for us though.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I do NO closed field ops at KBay. Something about that road going across the runway at midfield. . .

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
NAS Corpus Christi does closed field ops. Came back on my CCX to it.

To the OP, echo above. Land somewhere close (KPNS even) and get a hookup from one of the HT duty drivers. Shouldn't be an issue for a visiting CO.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
If you want, I have all the contact info for the Chief Flight Instructor at Milton (I just finished IFS there). HT helos park there often and they don't ask too many questions.

/Threadjack

Is Paxton still the CFI there? Is Mark still there too?