• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Climbing up the Navy Rank and the ASTB

haymansupperman

I am a college graduate that wants to join the Navy. In particular, I want to become an Information warfare officer. However I am a liberal arts major with a degree in history and Arabic (, which i believed might have given me the advantage). My recruiter told me that it would be harder for me to get that position because technical majors tend to get those slots. He told me that I should take the ASTB and from there we could see how competitive I am. He also suggested that I might want to apply for Surface warfare officer and that from there I could advance to information warfare. This approach bothers me, I am going into the Navy as a career rout. I eventually see myself commanding a ship and if possible becoming an Admiral with a regional command. I was told that the Surface warfare officer is in-charge of the deck. What are chances that I will advance from surface warfare to information warfare? If that is not a good option from surface warfare, can I advance to captain, how much of that is a possibility or even likely? What is the quickest way to climb the ranks if am just starting out? I also heard about a test called the AFOQT, what role will this test play if any in my career goals if any? Also I heard that someone posted their own version of the ASTB after taking it, and that it was on this blog if anyone could direct me to that I would be grateful. I am currently 26 and I want to make the most out of the time I have left.

SWOHopeful

There is also a SWO/IW option that I dont' know too much about. Do some searching through the boards and you'll find some posts about people selected to it as well as the information needed to get it.

gth770x

I am pretty sure you cannot have command at sea as a restricted line officer (Information Warfare). You can have command at sea as an unrestricted line officer (SWO). Each community has its own path for advancement and it sounds like the one you are after might be closer to that of a SWO. Not sure how much that helps - there is a SWO/IW option I hear about now but as I said before, I'm pretty sure you won't command a ship or anything like that.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to the site! Use the search function to find SWO/IW info and ASTB info, I guarantee most of your questions have been asked and answered already.

Are you sure that your recruiter told you to take the ASTB? The ASTB is an aviation specific test, whereas the ASVAB (or Armed Service Vocational Aptitude Battery), is a test that helps you figure out which areas of the military you would be best suited for.

As far as your career goals are concerned, it's great that you have high expectations for your future career in the Navy, and hope to make the Navy a career, but I wouldn't get ahead of yourself with the whole wanting
becoming an Admiral with a regional command
and
the quickest way to climb the ranks
. Better to focus on being accepted as an information warfare officer or swo first, then worry about career advancement.

There are both SWOs and IW officers on this forum, and I'm sure some of them will be around to give you better advice than I can.

Good Luck!

PJ81

FS SNA
The AFOQT is an Air Force test. I believe it stands for Air Force Officer Qualifying Test, or something close to that, AF version of the ASTB, so it is definitely not something you'd have to worry about in the Navy.

haymansupperman

Thanks for all the advice! This helped a lot, keep it coming if you have any other wise words of wisdom for me! it's easy to get confused with all the acronyms and different specializations. I am just trying to find the best career path to go down and it is hard when your not familiar with the system, a five min phone call with a recruiter is simply not enough.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The only input I'd have for your post is DO NOT "count" or "plan" on becoming an admiral, commanding a ship, making a career, or even staying beyond your COMMITMENT at this point. I've talked to plenty of O-5s and an O-6 or two who thought they'd be getting out at their commitment of 8 years after wings who ended up making a career out of the Navy, and I'm sure there are admirals who thought the same thing as a LT. On the flip side, I'm sure there have been countless guys who counted on making the Navy a career who got out as a LT either as their own choice or otherwise....

That being said whenever someone asks me if I'm gonna stay 20, I say (as an O-2) "How the hell should I know? I haven't even been to the fleet yet". Of course a Career has some great incentives and retirement benefits, but as a Naval Aviator with 3 years in service, even NOW I couldn't tell you if I'm going to get out at 8 or stay 20.

Just be flexible and have goals, but realize you can easily be changing your mind in the next 3,5,7 or 10 years.

P3 F0

None
My question to you is if you're so gung-ho, what have you been doing for the last four years?

As for your OP, here's my advice: there's no shame in wanting to do the career/skipper/admiral gig. Just don't go around flaunting it.

Like Otto pointed out, things will change. Those of us that have been around a while realize just how much of a toll the Navy takes, how much the service has changed (in both good and bad ways) since we joined, the good and bad leaders we've been exposed to, and the good and bad jobs, and how all of these may have shaped our goals over the years. For an Ens to blather on and on about how he's going to be skipper one day--that just makes me think he's a clueless tool that will climb on his friends' backs to get ahead.

If you want the stellar career, it's going to be because you love being in the Navy (if it's for any other reason, then you're a complete tool). Just take that joy factor, apply it to your day-to-day job, and your positive mental attitude will take you far (something I've definitely struggled with over the years), assuming you're competent with everything else. You'll do well at your job, and the rest will take care of itself. So just focus on the job and doing it well and with a great attitude. Don't focus too much on the scrambled eggs.

Oh yeah-- this
What is the quickest way to climb the ranks if am just starting out?
is something you should really never talk about ever again. You're going to be in the company of some truly smart people, most of whom are working hard to get ahead, just like you. Are you really that cocky so as to believe you're better than them and will advance more quickly? The better question to ask [disclaimer: I'm not a SWO] is what job on the boat is best to have for your fitrep. Also, what community/non-community jobs should be good for your career and what jobs may not be good for your career. You're not going to advance any quicker, but you'll understand what you need to do to be competitive for department head, and then command.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Oh yeah-- this is something you should really never talk about ever again. You're going to be in the company of some truly smart people, most of whom are working hard to get ahead, just like you. Are you really that cocky so as to believe you're better than them and will advance more quickly? The better question to ask [disclaimer: I'm not a SWO] is what job on the boat is best to have for your fitrep. Also, what community/non-community jobs should be good for your career and what jobs may not be good for your career. You're not going to advance any quicker, but you'll understand what you need to do to be competitive for department head, and then command.

I think he may have been (mistakenly) thinking more in terms of Enlisted careers, i.e hot rates that promote faster. Obviously (if I'm not mistaken) as URL O's we all generally have the same progression promotion-wise, at least up to the hinge or CO/XO level, so maybe that is what he is missing here.

MasterBates

A lot of people even in the Navy think Officer progression is like Enlisted progression up thru the paygrades.

My dad is SHOCKED (Army E-6 when he got out) that I have only been promoted twice in 9 years and am not likely to promoted for at least another 18 months if at all. I've even had some E's that worked for me back in HSL land that I have run into that are now Sand Crabs that are shocked that I am still a LT.

You MAY promote a bit earlier if you have a strong record from LT to LCDR, but ENS to JG and JG to LT are just a xx months in grade with no really stupid shit in your record.

You can be the most shit-hot LT in the Navy, and you won't be considered for LCDR until you are on the board. With all your shit hot, normal and slacker peers.

Mos

None
With all due respect to previous advisors, I personally think it's great that you have such high expectations for yourself, and I don't think a reality check should discourage you from having dreams, however lofty they may be. Many of military history's most renowned leaders (Patton, for example), had a vision of themselves as great leaders in the future. And just because someone dreams of becoming an admiral, doesn't mean they think they're better than everyone else.

That being said, the reality check still holds true, so try to keep an open mind, do the leg work and realize that anything is possible, good or bad.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
With all due respect to previous advisors, I personally think it's great that you have such high expectations for yourself, and I don't think a reality check should discourage you from having dreams, however lofty they may be. Many of military history's most renowned leaders (Patton, for example), had a vision of themselves as great leaders in the future. And just because someone dreams of becoming an admiral, doesn't mean they think they're better than everyone else.

That being said, the reality check still holds true, so try to keep an open mind, do the leg work and realize that anything is possible, good or bad.

You're right. Goals are important. The main point is that as a 2 month Ensign, you have NOOO idea what the future holds and how your goals will change once you actually experience fleet life (which even I haven't yet experienced 2+ years in), so don't go telling everyone you see you're going to be a career officer with multiple commands in your future. That is just ignorant and obtuse.

MasterBates

When I first joined BDCP, I joined to fly and do something other than being Dilbert, with the vauge plan of getting out after 7, and maybe doing the reserve bum thing.

Then I got married, and started leaning career for family reasons. Then my then-wife went batshat crazy every time I deployed and that steered me in the "get out, ASAP" camp. Then I decided that she was probably going to become the ex sooner than later, so I decided to do what I wanted. Which was to stay in the Navy, but get the hell out of HSL.

I dropped a transistion package and landed in VAW, but had decided that there was not enough money in the world to go back to HSL as a Department Head/OIC. If I didn't get the transition, I was going to do my shore tour at HT-8 as an IP, and get out and see what the civillian sector had to offer (economy was MUCH better then, and I would have left with 4000+ total flight hours easily)

Now, I'm just about done with the E-2 RAG (leave for CQ Sunday, and that's my last event at the RAG) and have 4 years left on my retread committiment, 5 on my ACCP committment. I'll keep flying as long as they let me, or until I start having more "FUCK WHY DO I HAVE TO GO IN THERE TODAY" days than "Wow, they PAY me to do this" days.

P3 F0

None
Then my then-wife went batshat crazy every time I deployed
With as much as the big M is mentioned here, you must have some interesting stories. You should write a book or something--I'd read it, for the entertainment factor alone.

IRfly

None
[disclaimer: I'm not a SWO]

Sometimes I wonder...<sigh>

To the OP: great that you want to make the Navy your career. As has been pointed out, once you actually see the Navy, that may change. But promotion is the same for all junior officers for the first ten years or so, so you'll have some time to figure it out.