• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian mid-air collision in Texas

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
For those of you flying light planes on the side - or doing touch and go's at uncontrolled airfields, keep your head on a swivel and your radios on the correct freq. Mid-air today in McKinney, Texas - the planes fell out of the sky and into the town.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/collin-county/plane-crash-reported-in-mckinney/380987179

"Both aircraft were flying under Visual Flight Rules and were not in contact with air traffic control at the time of the collision," Lynn Lunsford with the FAA said. McKinney police described the scene as "widespread".

HuggyU2

None
The pilot of the Luscombe was my good friend. I'd known him 19 years. I'd flown that Luscombe with him. We took a T-38 to Oshkosh a few years back. Aviation... all facets... was his passion. You always hear about guys that will do anything for you; guys that are always the bright spot in your day; guys with an eternally optimistic attitude. Spanky really was that guy. And he was an amazing pilot. And an even better father and person.

After being a T-38 FAIP, a tour in the B-52, and a staff tour, Spanky applied for the SR-71 in 1997: they were hiring one pilot that year from the hundreds of applicants. Spanky beat out everyone and was hired. Showed up at Edwards to start training. Four days later, Pres Clinton kills the SR-71 program. Three days later, Spanky is at Beale to fly the U-2 interview flights. Five days later, he is hired by the U-2 and has to get a SecAF waiver for two PCS' in a 2 week period. He became my neighbor on base and I gave him his T-38 checkride 23 Dec 1997. Friends ever since.

He was loved by all that ever met him.

God bless you, Spanky.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24525

The pilot of the Luscombe was my good friend. I'd known him 19 years. I'd flown that Luscombe with him. We took a T-38 to Oshkosh a few years back. Aviation... all facets... was his passion. You always hear about guys that will do anything for you; guys that are always the bright spot in your day; guys with an eternally optimistic attitude. Spanky really was that guy. And he was an amazing pilot. And an even better father and person.

After being a T-38 FAIP, a tour in the B-52, and a staff tour, Spanky applied for the SR-71 in 1997: they were hiring one pilot that year from the hundreds of applicants. Spanky beat out everyone and was hired. Showed up at Edwards to start training. Four days later, Pres Clinton kills the SR-71 program. Three days later, Spanky is at Beale to fly the U-2 interview flights. Five days later, he is hired by the U-2 and has to get a SecAF waiver for two PCS' in a 2 week period. He became my neighbor on base and I gave him his T-38 checkride 23 Dec 1997. Friends ever since.

He was loved by all that ever met him.

God bless you, Spanky.

Is this the same Spanky that was in EUCOM circa 2004?

Edit: Saw the photo, and agree with what you said. Super nice guy. Great optimistic personality. Gone too soon.
Damn