• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chaos in the E-Ring

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I was halfway through the article before I realized what you meant by "E-ring". I'm oddly proud of that.

Certainly sounds a lot better than Sarah Palin for VA secretary. :rolleyes:
ETA: According to this, Trump may not be seriously considering her at all. I hope that's true.

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tom Ricks' thoughts on Mad Dog and the other generals Trump is picking or leaning toward. Gist of the article: the President-Elect might like the idea of a team of generals, but he really doesn't understand GO/FOs in general or how these guys think in particular, and that is likely to cause some friction. Not least, these guys all know and have worked with each other for years.

Personally, I think Mattis is the best pick of the new administration. Others might have been a better choice for Defense in a perfect world, but Mad Dog is Pattonesque in manner enough that Trump will listen to him, and thoughtful, well-read, and experienced enough to make him worth listening to.

Some thoughts on Trump’s emerging junta

Renegade One

None
Off topic a bit, but is it really necessary to call Trump's cabinet a "junta"? It's not as if there was a military coup.
66006534.jpg

TexasForever

pilot
Tom Ricks' thoughts

I stopped at Tom Ricks. He put a hit piece out a few years back on Col. Desgrosseilliers (Former USMC Basic School CO) that was absolutely completely off base and ruined any credibility that he or foreignpolicy.com had in my mind.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Off topic a bit, but is it really necessary to call Trump's cabinet a "junta"? It's not as if there was a military coup.

An exaggeration to be sure but actually a decent piece on how the Generals he seems to like may not be the folks he expects them to be, Trump was already surprised that Mattis opposed torture.

IRfly

None
This might be good as a 'canary in the coal mine' scenario--I'm comfortable with the idea that Mattis will not be bullied into ordering the military to commit the war crimes that Trump has promised. If he resigns or gets canned, probably a good indication that the train is about to go off the rails.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The article on Trump's Junta seems to imply that his Junta won't be a Junta at all. Thanks click bait title. How about an article on I won't believe what these child stars look like now?

I kind of took it as a riff on a lot of the hand-wringing that's going on among the Left about all the generals Trump is considering for his cabinet. Even a lot of the more sensible commenters, who know the GO/FOs in question and their backgrounds and opinions, have been lumping them all together in some sort of Buck Turgedson stereotype.