• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changed My Mind From Joining USMC to Joining USN

Future Pilot619

Hey everyone! So this may sound odd, but I have decided to try and become an officer in the Navy instead of being an officer in the Marine Corps. I was researching what is favorable to the selection boards in NROTC units for mid's that want to become Naval Aviator's and how/when to go about starting this. To re-state my current position, I am in high school right now, just finished my Junior Year today!(Finally) I have been looking at NROTC and Navy OCS and debating which one I should go for. As a side note, if I were to join NROTC in college I wouldn't join until my sophomore year because I want to get adjusted to college life and take that first year to prepare myself for the work load to come, if anyone could give me advice on my situation and future situation, it would be much appreciated. Just to let anyone know who may ask, I am going to get my BS in Computer Science.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Wait what?
image.png

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey everyone! So this may sound odd, but I have decided to try and become an officer in the Navy instead of being an officer in the Marine Corps....To re-state my current position, I am in high school right now, just finished my Junior Year today!

I think your goals and motivation are admirable but you probably don't need to announce every time you change your mind on the forum here at this stage in your life.

koliver

As a side note, if I were to join NROTC in college I wouldn't join until my sophomore year because I want to get adjusted to college life and take that first year to prepare myself for the work load to come, if anyone could give me advice on my situation and future situation, it would be much appreciated.

That is a dumb idea. If you want NROTC apply for the scholarship. If you dont get the scholarship apply as a college program applicant. It is not a good idea to take freshman year off. I have friends who did that, and they all have to stay an extra year due to the NROTC requirements. That means that if you join as a sophomore you would still be a freshman to the Navy. As far as Navy or Marine Corps goes, they both are in need of pilots but the Marines are pushing harder for aviators right now.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is a dumb idea. If you want NROTC apply for the scholarship. If you dont get the scholarship apply as a college program applicant. It is not a good idea to take freshman year off. I have friends who did that, and they all have to stay an extra year due to the NROTC requirements. That means that if you join as a sophomore you would still be a freshman to the Navy. As far as Navy or Marine Corps goes, they both are in need of pilots but the Marines are pushing harder for aviators right now.

Is that the case right now? Because for a very long time 2 and 3 year scholarship awardees got caught up training-wise to their peers after their getting scholarships.

koliver

Two and three year scholarships are for those who have been college program mishipmen first. Trust me it would not benefit you to take your freshman year off.