• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of me being selected for Intel Officer

bluemarlin04

Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice and realistically tell me if I should apply for a slot as an intel officer or if I am wasting my time. I honestly have no idea what they look for and searched through all the forums and got a somewhat good idea but I also was just wondering if you guys could give me the real deal.

My background.
Joined navy reserves in 2005 at 18 (am 25 now) , was one of the first into that NPSB programs. Became a corpsman. I got my AA from community college and transferred to University of Hawaii where I got my BA in Political Science. My overall GPA at UH Manoa was a 2.88 because of stupid mistakes when I was 20 and I got three "F"s on my transcripts. I took a semester off and than was deployed. I served in Iraq from 2008 to 2009 on a 12 month IA as a prison guard and corpsman. I came back and finished my degree in May 2010. I applied for a SWO board back in fall 2010 and was a non-select. I was pretty crushed. I have wanted to be a naval officer since I enlisted. Undettered I went back to the drawing board and figured out new options in order to be more competitive. I decided to go to graduate school and continue with my post 9/11 GI Bill.

I realized the boards look highly upon leadership so I studied hard for advancement the following cycle in 2011 and picked up HM1. Currently I am still drilling and am the ALPO for my unit.I also was recently awarded the volunteer service medal for my work in the boyscouts of America. (I am also an Eagle Scout)

I am finishing my Master of Science in Criminal Justice Administration from Chaminade University in February. Realizing how much of a factor GPA plays in selection boards I have maintained a 4.0 GPA in the program. I have 6 credits left and one more quarter. I was hoping to apply for the March Intel Board.

My worry is that my comm college and low undergrad GPA might hurt me even though I did well in my graduate program. My ASTB was okay, it was a 50 or something, I cannot remember. I am going to take it again and study harder.

My stats are:
25 years old
HM1 in reserves
M.S. Criminal Justice Admin GPA 4.0 Chaminade University
BA Political Science UH Manoa GPA 2.8
AA UH Comunitty College GPA 3.3
ASTB 50

I wrote my masters thesis on the counter insurgency efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq and my undergrad capstone on interdependence theory in international relations. I dont know if I should include that on my statement or what.

do you guys have any suggestions on how to make a more competitve package? Thank you for the help, it is much appreciated.. I want to be a naval officer more than anything. My twin brother just earned his comission and graduated from OCS, I am using his account on here.

bluemarlin04

If you don't try your odds are zero.
this is true.
its like the poster that was hanging in front of our gym in Iraq
"you miss 100 percent of the shots you dont take"

I guess my questions were more along the lines of:

does anyone have any recommendations on how I can make a stronger package in hopes of being selected

My opinion. Go for it. What can you lose? That said, the question is, what puts you over the top? Well, your gpa is medium and astb Is medium. Retake the astb and get above a 50. Do the extra work to get to a 55 or 60. Tailor your application towards your credentials in international relations and analytic work. Take up a new language. Volunteer. In your why I want to be an officer, explain point by point why you're an excellent fit for being in the navy as a spy. Win an award. Run a race. Cure cancer. Start a business.

Bottom line is don't get on this blog and say maybe....say, "I will be an INTEL select." Because if you don't see it and if you don't believe it, then who else will?

Btw I'm a prorec Aug 2011 INTEL select.

GL.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
In your why I want to be an officer, explain point by point why you're an excellent fit for being in the navy as a spy.

Btw I'm a prorec Aug 2011 INTEL select..

I sure hope that's a poor attempt at sarcasm, or you're going to be in for a lot of disappointment.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I sure hope that's a poor attempt at sarcasm, or you're going to be in for a lot of disappointment.

We generally refer to our squadron intel-o's as the "spies" - just tongue in cheek sarcasm.

For example, "Anyone seen the spy? I need to figure help with....(insert whatever)...". "Nope, he's on leave again, a Dungeons and Dragons convention I think".

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
We generally refer to our squadron intel-o's as the "spies" - just tongue in cheek sarcasm.

For example, "Anyone seen the spy? I need to figure help with....(insert whatever)...". "Nope, he's on leave again, a Dungeons and Dragons convention I think".

You know the motto of Intel Officers: ..................... "We bet your life."

Dungeons and dragons? What is this the 80's? Us nerds prefer World of Warcraft these days.

And yes spy was used jokingly....notice the Arnold schwarzennegar quote too. I am very aware that I will be mostly doing pp presentations and chillin at computers. Which is nice cause then I don't even have to move to spend the rest of the evening playing WOW.

To the op. My opinion is serious though: apply.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Just to be clear, there was no ill will or disrespect meant towards the our intelligence professionals. to the fattestfoot, yes we jokingly call them spies and they're not all nerds :)

bluemarlin04

My opinion. Go for it. What can you lose? That said, the question is, what puts you over the top? Well, your gpa is medium and astb Is medium. Retake the astb and get above a 50. Do the extra work to get to a 55 or 60. Tailor your application towards your credentials in international relations and analytic work. Take up a new language. Volunteer. In your why I want to be an officer, explain point by point why you're an excellent fit for being in the navy as a spy. Win an award. Run a race. Cure cancer. Start a business.

Bottom line is don't get on this blog and say maybe....say, "I will be an INTEL select." Because if you don't see it and if you don't believe it, then who else will?

Btw I'm a prorec Aug 2011 INTEL select.

GL.
Thank you for the information.

But my GPA is medium? I have a 4.0 in Graduate school.

My GPA for undergrad is well below medium. That was pretty crappy GPA. I wish I tried harder in undergrad, I was just never interested in school back then.

If you did read bro, I just got awarded the volunteer service medal for my volunteer work.

Thank you for the advice though. I do appreciate it alot.

BrandonCl

Use your poor undergrad GPA to stellar grad GPA to show the board where you have come since you started college. They seem to like those kind of stories of success.

I did read and that's excellent on the award.
Here is my package at a glance, maybe that will help. 55 astb. I had a lot of travel/study abroad at great schools, language experience. My degree is also international relations which is one of their preferred degrees. My undergrad gpa was a 3.54 from a good school. my letters of rec were solid, some profs, employers, a cross section of my life. And I think my biggest plus was really catering my package toward showing analytic experience and international travel. I wish I could hand you the silver bullett but I think my package was just solid. I'm not a 75 astb, 4.0 Harvard grad who has gotten bored running obamas reelection campaign while getting my PHD from the Kennedy school of public policy. I mean, until I got the call I thought I had a very slim chance.

bluemarlin04

I did read and that's excellent on the award.
Here is my package at a glance, maybe that will help. 55 astb. I had a lot of travel/study abroad at great schools, language experience. My degree is also international relations which is one of their preferred degrees. My undergrad gpa was a 3.54 from a good school. my letters of rec were solid, some profs, employers, a cross section of my life. And I think my biggest plus was really catering my package toward showing analytic experience and international travel. I wish I could hand you the silver bullett but I think my package was just solid. I'm not a 75 astb, 4.0 Harvard grad who has gotten bored running obamas reelection campaign while getting my PHD from the Kennedy school of public policy. I mean, until I got the call I thought I had a very slim chance.
thanks for the info. I feel liek I might have a chance.

and Brandon, I plan on doing that.

bluemarlin04

update for anyone interested.
re took the ASTB and scored a 54 6,6,6.

so I am applying for the next board. Got some solid rec letters and my masters is about done.

I also got rec letters from my profs who were in charge of my research in my masters program and from places I volunteered

alfonso

"Guns UP"
does having a BA in Criminal Justice affect your chances of becoming an intel officer or does it even matter what degree you get?