• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CEPs?

cameron172

pilot
Just wondering how many people here use CEPs? I got a pair a few weeks ago and they have really improved my ability to understand the radio. Are they as useful once out of the training command or are they more of a hassle?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I use them and love them. I have custom fit and the foamies. I prefer the latter. It's a big improvement in the Phrog due to how noisy the forward tranny is. Without them my ability to hear during hour 4 of a 5.5 is pretty diminished.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly with them and decide if you can stand having them in for hours on end. Make sure they fit. I'm a jet guy, so all I know about flying helos is that your boom mic picks up your rotor noise and makes you sound funny on the radio. That said, our air wing helo guys were doing a ton of starboard D (HSC) or after-hours MISR (HSM). My own experience flying hours on end with the foam version was to rip them out after hour 2 as they were digging into my ear canal. Some people loved them, though. Depends on how your ears are shaped.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just wondering how many people here use CEPs? I got a pair a few weeks ago and they have really improved my ability to understand the radio.
CEP = Circular Error Probable... also used:
MRI = Mean Radius of Impact
Oh definitely, as a 20-year Attack Dude (VA), we used CEPs extensively to evaluate bombing ability/accuracy during weapons training, and scoring competitive exercises (COMPEX for the coveted "E"s). Used in both conventional dive & laydown scoring; and in all angles of the awesome delivery/scoring of.. gasp, ssshh... "special weapons"!:eek:

OBTW, they never did anything to improve our ability to understand the radio... :cool:
Are they as useful once out of the training command or are they more of a hassle?
We did use them in jet advanced in the TraCom, but they were much more important in the fleet, for combat readiness evaluation.;)

Oh wait, this is a helo thread.... doh, never mind.:oops:
BzB

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Try different canal tip sizes to get the most comfortable fit; there are at least 4. I hate to fly without CEPs, even in a supposedly quiet aircraft (H-72). After a 3-yr tour in the H-60 using CEPs, my hearing test was rebased down (better). I probably just got better at taking the test, but the point is my hearing didn't degrade.

Renegade One

None
CEP = Circular Error Probable... also used:
MRI = Mean Radius of Impact
Oh wait, this is a helo thread.... doh, never mind.:oops:
BzB
BzB: You and I think exactly alike. Also remember HOB/HOF (Height of Burst/Frag)…for the guy who's down the chute in FRONT of you…it's HIS bombs you need to worry about… :cool:

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I wore them in helos to cut out the tranny whine and make the radios clearer. I wear them now in the T45, although I didn't at first. It helps cut out a lot of the wind and engine noise as well as make the radios clearer.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I have the custom molded ones and love them! It's a huge improvement, especially in the Sierra. For some reason the radios in it suck really bad compared to the F and H. Keep up with wearing them and your ears will thank you.

Brunes

pilot
I'm a HUGE fan of mine. I wish I had gotten them sooner. And with the radio package in the H65...There is so much that can be going on, that I need all the help I can get to listen to ATC, SMC, SAR freqs, etc.

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
7 years and counting, I love them. I don't like the foamies, I use the custom molded insert...but there is a trick! This comes from band guys who have custom earpieces. RELAX, sit like you would with nothing to do. Now look in a mirror. is your jaw completely shut or slightly open? Most people keep their jaw closed and breather through their nose when they get the ears molded, but that is not how we sit normally (in the aircraft), so why get them molded this way? Think I am crazy? Stick your pinky in your ear canal and open and close your jaw...shape changes!

So, the secret to comfortable fit is to let the molding goo harden with your jaw relaxed and as open as it normally would be in a relaxed state. This worked wonders for me and musicians I know.

KiowaDriver

Now a Hooker....
None
I use CEPs. They were optional on my last aircraft, and damn near required on the hook. I couldnt imagine flying this beast without them. I just use the standard foam tips, not the custom molds.

cameron172

pilot
Great! The foamies are fine for me during a quick local flight but they were getting a bit uncomfortable after our six hour cross country out to Austin. Maybe I'll try a size smaller before looking into the custom molded tips.

where does one get the custom fit job done? I have tried using the foamies, but the dam things jab deep into my ear canal and it hurts too bad to use them

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
Look for your wing physiologist. They have some sort of wings on their chest and usually a bit of an exaggerated head size.