• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CEC board

Dan1550

I am a Civil Engineering major. I applied for the CEC board February 2009 and was denied. I was told that I needed complete more schooling and to apply again. I have heard various rumors as to when the next board meeting will be. Does anyone else have a guess as to when they might meet again?

During this application process when does going to MEPs take place? Once I get selected by the board? I was able to apply for the program and have not gone to MEPs yet. On the other hand MEPs was a prerequisite before going to the Interview for the NUPOC program. My recruiter has been trying to convice to go the NUPOC route but I feel that in the long term I would be much happier as a civil engineer.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't know when the next board meets, but your recruiter should know where MEPS fits into the picture. Recruiters are always going to push people with technical degrees to go NUPOC because that's where the requirement always lies (CEC is much smaller).

IF you have any questions on the CEC, feel free to PM me.

curtt2010

I do work for the US Navy to raise awareness of the career opportunities available. I work specifically on Officer related programs including the Civil Engineer Corps, but I'm not familiar with the board dates and when you would go thru MEPS.

I would suggest visiting the CEC Facebook fan page. You can ask real Navy Civil Engineers these questions and talk to others who have gone through the same thing you are. Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/navycivilengineer

Right now, more Nuclear Engineers are needed in the Navy than Civil Engineers. Thats' why they were pushing the NUPOC program.

Good luck!

Dan1550

If I am not accepted into CEC this time around I am considering applying for the Nuclear program. The recruiter that I am working with mentioned recently that after this April board there may not be another until 2011 sometime. He has also told me that the CEC boards are sometimes unpredictable. The one thing that I am worried about is that I am scheduled to graduate Spring of 2011 and do not want to take a chance of waiting on CEC when I could have gone into Nuclear. If Nuclear is the route that I end up taking, is it possible to transfer to Civil Engineering later on?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If Nuclear is the route that I end up taking, is it possible to transfer to Civil Engineering later on?

Yes. However, there are multiple factors that come into play: The gaining community has to have lat xfer quotas, and your community has to let you go. The CEC is a little undermanned as of now, and they've been taking lat xfers and flight attrites with open arms, so that part isn't the problem. The issue is when the Nuke community will let you go...probably after you do your 5-year commitment.

As a lat xfer to the CEC, I'll say this: the CEC detail shop will not give a shit about your fleet deployments in regards to your future assignments. What'll probably happen if you lat xfer is you'll come off your sub tour, go to CECOS, then head to a battalion, basically back-to-back sea tours.