• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Canada cancelling JSF to purchase F/A-18's?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The F-35 has become a big political issue up there so this is really no surprise. Canadian military procurement doesn't have the best track record for many of their recent big purchases (yes, in some cases worse than our shenanigans if you can believe it) and this is an 'easy kill' for the Liberals to make a point. Their Hornets are long in the tooth though and unless they make a rapid procurement decision, which is doubtful given their history, they are going to have to burn even more money keeping their birds in the air long enough for a replacement. They might even miss out on a chance to buy Super Hornets (the easy but not necessarily the right choice) if they don't get off their ass before the line closes in just a few short years.

exNavyOffRec

I was talking about Canada with 2 friends of mine on Saturday over lunch, they were concerned what would happen if the liberals took the PM with many items, as it happens both need knee replacements but they have both been denied because they are both too young, if they get them now they may need to have it replaced down the road, they both have to wait until they get to age 70? so until then they have a reduced QOL.

Renegade One

None
Pointy nose types want to weigh in here?
"It's not personal…it's strictly business."

At the risk of ultracrepidating, I think it's probably the best economic/pragmatic decision for Canada. The CF certainly needs modern, highly-capable, proven and interoperable strike fighters with a robust logistics chain to fulfill its legitimate defense and alliance needs, but they probably don't require the H-Hour/D-Day "take the door and clear the room" (and very expensive) capabilities that are the raison d'être for the JSF.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they do make a timely decision to go buy Rhinos, that will keep that line open in Saint Louis and have huge implications for our ability to order more E/F/Gs for the USN. We need another 10 or so airframes to properly resource our future VAQ squadrons.

DesertRooster

The King of Nothing
I've also seen an article where it is expected to raise the individual unit price by roughly 1%, increasing the price by $850,000

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they do make a timely decision to go buy Rhinos, that will keep that line open in Saint Louis and have huge implications for our ability to order more E/F/Gs for the USN. We need another 10 or so airframes to properly resource our future VAQ squadrons.

I seriously doubt that, the only 'timely' defense decision they have made in the past 30 years for defense was their purchase of C-17's and that wasn't any near as contentious as a fight purchase. All the rest of their big defense purchases have been mired in controversy and massive delays.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure the Boeing folks have been working this angle for a while. Will be interesting to watch.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor

Need some more Rhinos as well at the current op-tempo and the hours being put on the airframe, correct?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Truth. Managing airframe life is a big deal these days, particularly for the VFA folks.

hscs

pilot
I've also seen an article where it is expected to raise the individual unit price by roughly 1%, increasing the price by $850,000
Yes. There will be a snowball effect where other nations, including ours, may not be able to afford their original buy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure the Boeing folks have been working this angle for a while. Will be interesting to watch.

Sure, but the procurement wheels move very slowly for our neighbor to the north and are even more at the mercy of politicians than here. I just wouldn't count on them to fill a gap.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Canadian government will launch an open competition to replace its aging fleet of CF-18 fighter jets and plans to purchase 18 Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornets as an interim fix for its current capability gap.

That is a pretty half-assed decision. They are going to have a completion that runs 5 years, possibly beyond the manufacture end date for several probable contenders, get only a handful of interim fighters and have upgrade some of the original CF-188's to fill the gap that ensues. And you thought our weapons procurement was screwed up....