• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brown Water Navy career options?

sickboy

pilot
Does anyone know how the service selection works if you want to go into one of the rivron squadrons? The only information I can find is about them deploying.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know how the service selection works if you want to go into one of the rivron squadrons? The only information I can find is about them deploying.

Check out this brief for list of what type of people they are looking for and the POC you can contact.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's pretty cool. Definitely a second choice after an aviation slot.

They already have their first aviator (MH-60S) aboard for liaison duties and to work UAV conectivity/requirements. SPECWAR Special Boat Team is getting their first aviator (F/A-18F WSO) in CF08 so there are ways to be an aviator and play in this domain as well.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Interesting. So are the aviators acting as FACs? My comment was more along the lines of top three service selection choices as I am still in the NROTC domain and haven't nabbed a much coveted SNA slot. . .yet.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
When I first looked at the title of this thread, I thought it was MB having problems with the plumbing in his RV.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting. So are the aviators acting as FACs? My comment was more along the lines of top three service selection choices as I am still in the NROTC domain and haven't nabbed a much coveted SNA slot. . .yet.

In the case of the former: no, because boats crews have their own program to provide JTAC support among crews. I met him a few weeks ago and he was focused on surveying UAS systems and control capability.

In the case of the latter, WSO heading to Little Creek is a FAC (A) and could certainly perform as a FAC after getting JTAC qual, but will be operating with SEALs who already have JTACC quals. Too soon to tell what roles he will perform because he doesn't report for several months and he's the first one assigned.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What the hell do THEY fly?

These babies....

Readyforaction.jpg
[/IMG]

Photo by HJ

The Stoic

Excuse the ignorance on my part but is this something you pick up after you are commissioned for something else or as a specialty going into OCS. I got picked up for SWO (just pro-rec at the moment, waiting on final) and really want to be in fast action stuff at some point as well.

navy09

None
According to the brief HJ linked, the CO, XO, and about nine other officers (O2-O4) can be filled by either SWO or EOD/Special Ops officers.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Excuse the ignorance on my part but is this something you pick up after you are commissioned for something else or as a specialty going into OCS. I got picked up for SWO (just pro-rec at the moment, waiting on final) and really want to be in fast action stuff at some point as well.

Second ship, first tour for newly qualed SWO's (have to have your EOOW).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

If you check the brief, they have 19 officer slots at the squadron level (mainly 1110/1140), but very few LTJG billets. Most are LTs so looks like they are pulling from qualified SWOs off first or second tours. Still, you can always ask or try the SWCC route.