• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Wolf 50k Fund Raiser

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Webmaster has approved this post.

In 2010 I was fortunate enough to complete the Marine Corps Marathon. It wasn't fast, and it wasn't pretty - but it was done. Along the way, through commitments from generous people like you (and some sweat of my own), we raised nearly $9500 for Wounded Warrior Project. The generosity of the AW community contributed almost $3000 of that!

This year I've upped the ante a bit and have registered for a 50K trail race. I figured its just a marathon with a nice little five and half mile cool down.... I have also decided to use this event as an opportunity to raise funds for another extremely worth cause.

Background:
On August 10th, 2004 LT Patrick Myrick, LCDR Scott Zellem, LT James Pupplo, and Petty Officer Second Class Joshua Showalter launched from the USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) on a routine training mission. They were flying the S-3B Viking and were assigned to the Blue Wolves of VS-35. Tragically, the crew was lost when their aircraft crashed into Kita Iwo Jima in the Pacific Ocean.

Articles and links:
Navy Online
San Diego Union Tribune
Seattle Times
Patrick Myrick.com

I met Patrick's wife Alli in 2009 and was instantly impressed with her grace and poise. When Patrick passed away he left behind not only a loving wife, but also a baby girl. Alli has since remarried and lives with her two beautiful daughters and amazing husband in San Diego.
Patrick Myrick went to high school and college here in the Northwest, graduating from the University of Washington. A scholarship fund was created at the University of Washington a few years ago in Patrick's honor, and is awarded to a deserving engineering student each year.
This year my goal, through the training and completion of the Vashon Island Ultra, is to match the $9500 that we raised for the Wounded Warrior Project in 2010.

How to get involved:
Similar to my 2010 effort, the primary means for raising funds is through my training and completion of a long distance event. This one is obviously a little longer and will test my resolve like none other to date. One of the ways to ensure that I complete the training required to get through the 31 mies on June 30th is make each training mile important and valuable. Knowing with each step, each mile, each hill that I'm raising money for such a worthy cause is incredibly motivating.
When you agree to participate in this fundraiser you will be asked to pledge a fractional (or whole) dollar amount per mile, for every mile I run between April 1st and June 30th. Currently, I'm averaging between 25 and 30 miles per week but will be increasing that to almost 40 miles per week in early June. My best estimate for the total milage is 350 to 400 miles.

If you pledged:
.01 you would owe $3.50 - $4.00
.05 you would owe $17.50 - $20.00
.10 you would owe $35.00 - $40.00
.25 you would owe $87.50 - $100.00
.50 you would owe $175.00 to $ $200.00
1.00 you would owe $350.00 to $400.00
Any fractional amount between these is certainly welcome - I'll just have to break out my calculator :)
Flat rate donations are also greatly appreciated if that is your preferred means of support.

What now?
This adventure kicks off on April 1st (no joke). The sooner you commit to the effort the more miles you'll be able to support. When I did this in 2010 I was raising almost $20 per mile and it served as incredible motivation during the long training runs.
Simply reach out to me via PM and let me know how you would like to help.

NO MONEY WILL BE DUE UNTIL AFTER I COMPLETE THE 50K. At that time you'll be directed to a PayPal account. Once all funds are collected I'll write a check to the scholarship fund.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Pictures will be presented - as will official race results. Caution though - pictures may include images of black toe nails, chaffed nether regions, and blistered feet. Just wanted to make sure you're good with that? :)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Ran the Yakima River Canyon Marathon this morning. If you're familiar with the area it started in Ellensburg and followed the river through the canyon down to Yakima. Start counting miles tomorrow - there is no real deadline to get involved. Just send me a PM.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Have completed two more marathons since last update on March 31st, with 125 miles in the last three weeks. Have at least one or two more 'big' weeks before taking it easy in the days leading up to the 50k on the 30th.

I'll keep in touch with those of you have made pledges via PM - for the rest of you, its not too late to get involved.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
An update for those who have been gracious enough to make donations and pledges:

The Vashon Island Ultra is this weekend.

In 90 days I've run just over 315 miles with more than 52,000 feet of elevation gain almost exclusively on single track trails here in the PNW. I completed two full marathons and a 20 mile trail training run. A det to New Orleans cost me two weeks and about 60 miles - but there was just no way I was going to put in long miles in the heat and humidity.

75% of funds raised are going to the Univ of WA scholarship fund in LT Patrick Myrick's name. The other 25% is going to a general scholarship fund in the name of Petty Officer Showalter (the airborne troubleshooter who was in the back).

Please PM me if you have any other questions are want to get involved at the last minute.

For those who have already made pledges and commitments, I'll be sending you PMs with instructions on how to access the PayPal account - but not until the deed is done on Saturday... 31 trail miles - should be fine, right?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Complete. WHOA! 31+ miles is a long damned way to run through the woods. Ran the last 14 miles fighting cramps in both legs on an unusually humid day. PMs will go out in the next few days with link to PayPal account.

Thanks again to all of you supported this effort - and thanks to John for letting me use his site to solicit your support.