• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best way to build up push ups

schwarti

Contributor
I've heard a few things, from doing a set every hour on the hour, to doing as many as you can in two minutes followed by two minutes of rest, repeated three times, to starting as high as you can and taking short breaks between sets and go down - like 50, rest, 40, rest, and so on. You let me know if you find something really good!

BigRed389

None
There are many ways, but in the end they all revolve around doing more per day than you normally do.

Personally, I prefer the near max set whenever I F-ing feel like it approach. Only because it's the only thing I find I can do regularly without it feeling like a chore.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
My technique is to do 20 pushups every hour on the hour. Then one set to failure sometime before bed. Don't rest between repititions, just crank them out untill you can't do anymore. When you think you cant do anymore, then pull your arms in close to your pecs and crank out 5 more using mostly your triceps.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
For the past few weeks i've been focusing on building up my triceps pretty good. I also heard a few people say that its all about your back and building that up so I don't know what to believe. I'll probably just try a few different things like doing the set on ever hour from doing 10 in one set and working my way up. A friend that I have that is in the Navy now said that at boot camp they said that most of your effort will be coming from your deltoid so do you know anything that would help build that up?

schwarti

Contributor
Not sure about deltoid exercises. Just wanted to chime in and say to make sure that you're doing your pushups correctly - these guys say again and again to make sure your form is good. I just started doing them correctly last week, and it really helped. (I was going down too far, and it was a constant surprise when I couldn't do that many.)

schwarti

Contributor
Looking for the movie clip I told you about. Other than that, search the site or the Internet at large, it's definitely out there.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
I've had a lot of problems with pushups in the past. I find the best thing for me is to do 10 sets, 3 days a week, and watching my form. I'll max out on the first couple of sets and then shoot for 25 or 30 as long as I can then doing max again until I've completed the 10 sets.

They do get to seem like a chore but I do them in the living room while I'm watching TV so its not that bad. Stick your feet under the couch and do situps between sets! Good Luck!!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Back Straight and Level, Butt Down. Come down far enough that your shoulders are parallel to your elbows.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
On that stupid looking thing that people hold themselves up on and do leg-lifts (which are pointless). Instead of doing that, face the back pad and lift yourself up on the two handles in front of you. Then slowly go down.

When you can do 5 sets of 10, you will be able to easily do like 4 sets of 20 pushups, which will put you nice and high on the PU portion of the test. When you can do sets of 20 dips, you'll probably be able to max PU easily.

chest-deltoids-triceps-parallel%20bar%20dips.gif

Unlike this picture, I don't recommend going past 90 degrees on your arms. THis puts unnecessary strain on your shoulder and rotator cuff (same goes with bench-90 degrees is good enough).

BigRed389

None
Yeah seriously...dips? Why not tell somebody to improve their running by riding a bike while you're at it? It's better than nothing, but dips don't work the same things.

Also, deltoids isn't what fails for me, my triceps burn out first. Just do them to failure at some point, and figure out what muscle group fails on your first. If you honestly feel like that muscle group is holding you back, then maybe work on it, but otherwise just doing a butt ton of pushups is your surest bet.

I have noticed deltoids help if you're worried about being able to stay in the pushup position, as would abs to stabilize. But on the PRT it's IMO better to just bust em out as fast as you can, then drop and take a rest. I did about 70 in like 1:15, which gave me almost an extra minute to rest.

So personally, it might seem like I'm being facetious/lazy when I say just pump out near max sets throughout the day, but I'm actually pretty serious.

You usually are able to do a quick set of reps, then you get tired, and the next batch is slower. Then you start needing more rest between batches, so you get maybe 3-4 pushups every 10 seconds.

So by blasting out a whole lot of near max sets throughout the day, you basically are focusing on increasing the number you can pump out quickly to start with. So I basically knocked out my good low in way under a minute, took a little break, then knocked whatever more I felt like doing.

I also like to go lower and slower during those sets than I regs require during practice. That way, when you only have to break 90 and get go as fast as you like, it's unbelievably easy.

BigRed389

None
Oh you meant real dips. I first thought you were referring to the stupid ones people do off the benches.

Yeah doing those deep dips obviously carries more weight than a pushup...