• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation to Infantry?

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm still in the aviation training pipeline, so I'll be active duty for at least another 7 years, but I was wondering if anyone has experience transitioning to the reserves to a billet outside of their MOS? I was planning on making USMC aviation a career, but recently found out that Deror Jr is on the way. At the end of my contract I'll be moving back to the ME/NH/MA region to be closer to grandparents, etc. I'd like to transition to the USMCR if possible, but the only reserve unit that I'm aware of up there is an infantry battalion (1/25). Would I be able to contribute as a senior Captain with an unrelated PMOS? Would going to IOC that late in the game be possible/necessary?

Thank you for your time

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Lots of guys travel pretty far for their reserve gigs. There's plenty of reserve IP's that have to fly into Corpus and Meridian to do their instructing. I also know a guy that lived in Florida and was reserve Army in WV. Furthermore the government lets you write off many travel expenses for reserve drills, so keep that in mind.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Switching to 0302 isn't going to happen, but you might be able to join as a FAC.

There's also the Guard.

You might also consider that having a kid doesn't necessarily mean that you have to get out and be close to family. You have plenty of time to figure that out.

Good luck.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Willow Grove and Johnstown in PA are a little bit of a haul, but not THAT bad, and you'd get to stay in aviation. Also consider the Guard and Air Guard for flying.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Yo dude, quit looking 8+ years into the future. That is so far removed from now that even the government doesn't make plans that far out. Shit, communists only had 5-year plans, and to quote Fred Thompson, "Russkies don't take a shit without a plan."

Relax, don't worry about the future, and focus on flight school.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
^^^Truth. Anything could happen in the next few years. You could NPQ, get a cushy post-NPS gig that never deploys, actually enjoy flying and realize that people actually make it work, the moon could strike the earth, whatever.

In any case,apply yourself 100% to your first job and don't pull the family punk card out. You'll be much more likely to get a sweet gig on the backside, whatever that turns out to be.

Renegade One

None
I agree with the stuff above about "you've got lots of time to figure this out". I would only opine that, assuming the next 7 years pans out as you plan...well, you'll have skill sets enough to chart your own acceptable course. As a TBS grad, you're always going to be "A Rifleman First"...yes? The FAC path sounds good right now...but don't sweat it yet. Semper Fi!

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Thanks for the input everyone. I wasn't aware that there were reserve squadrons that far north.

phrogpilot73

Thanks for the input everyone. I wasn't aware that there were reserve squadrons that far north.
For what it's worth, guys commute to our squadron from Ohio, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida, and a guy is currently rushing the squadron and lives in Maine. Not uncommon at all to commute. Most squadrons have numerous dets, and you'll go on AD - they buy you a plane ticket, you fly in, do your det, fly home.