• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation instructor career path

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has been eluded to in other threads, but it's good to have the official link/NAVADMIN. Bottom line, this is an option for post-DH aviators to transition to permanent TRACOM/TRAWING flight instruction duties until they reach 20 years & retire.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So basically you have to apply for a board signaling your intention not to be a Skipper.

My first question would be can you apply after your final, competitive, FITREP as a DH?

If the answer is yes, then this is a great program.

If the answer is no, you have to signal intent while a DH, then no fucking way.

I want to be the Skipper one day. I make that clear up front. But if I leave here with a #2 EP, I know my time on the golden path is done, and this would be the way for me to ride the last three years on an orange and white chariot...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So basically you have to apply for a board signaling your intention not to be a Skipper.

My first question would be can you apply after your final, competitive, FITREP as a DH?

If the answer is yes, then this is a great program.

If the answer is no, you have to signal intent while a DH, then no fucking way.

I want to be the Skipper one day. I make that clear up front. But if I leave here with a #2 EP, I know my time on the golden path is done, and this would be the way for me to ride the last three years on an orange and white chariot...
Did you read the NAVADMIN? It explains eligibility requirements.

SlickAg

pilot
Did you read the NAVADMIN? It explains eligibility requirements.
Hypothetical: Today, your #1 DH come 31 October walks into your office and says he's applying for this program. Your #2 guy is good enough, but not future skipper material (in your opinion). Go.

Follow-on: your feelings on both of you signing the #1 EP fitrep for the future career IP and then the next day he applies for the program. He's just "wasted" the punch you gave him.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It’s a great program, but CIVPAC (because CIVLANT sucks) is more appealing at this time.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The way I read this, there is no real assurance you will be able to remain put beyond a typical 2-3 year shore tour. There's no designator change, and an AQD doesn't shield you from anything. If it does anything for you, the AQD says "I didn't want to be a skipper". So, if the IP shortage is relieved 2-3 years from now (or a body-shortage rears up elsewhere), have fun on your ship's company tour!

Also, assuming I'm reading this correctly, if you didn't do a production tour during your 1st shore, fugheddaboudit.

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is any better than accepting post-DH flying orders (assuming you can find some) and then hoping you find something palatable for that last 2-3 years to make retirement.

Color me skeptical.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hypothetical: Today, your #1 DH come 31 October walks into your office and says he's applying for this program. Your #2 guy is good enough, but not future skipper material (in your opinion). Go.

Follow-on: your feelings on both of you signing the #1 EP fitrep for the future career IP and then the next day he applies for the program. He's just "wasted" the punch you gave him.
Not future Skipper material? That’s a no brainer. That individual’s report would be written so they don’t screen.

For the follow on question, if someone chooses to spring career IP on a RS after a H.W. FITREP, that’s just a dick move that is potentially screwing another worthy DH. I would factor that into my decision as to whether I would provide an endorsement for the IP application, which is required for selection.

Fallonflyr

pilot
Not future Skipper material? That’s a no brainer. That individual’s report would be written so they don’t screen.

For the follow on question, if someone chooses to spring career IP on a RS after a H.W. FITREP, that’s just a dick move that is potentially screwing another worthy DH. I would factor that into my decision as to whether I would provide an endorsement for the IP application, which is required for selection.
Wait a minute, you’re saying that if a guy who is your top performer wants to be an career IP he is somehow screwing someone else over and you might withhold his endorsement? That is the fucked up shit that causes the best people to leave.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait a minute, you’re saying that if a guy who is your top performer wants to be an career IP he is somehow screwing someone else over and you might withhold his endorsement? That is the fucked up shit that causes the best people to leave.
** I'm assuming in this hypothetical that the "not future Skipper material" guy from the first part of the question doesn't apply here - just so we're clear.

Look at it from another perspective, if you have two guys that are more or less equal, but you can only give one of them the #EP ticket, then one of them essentially opts out, then that's screwing the guy that could have had the #1EP. It's all about managing a finite amount of opportunity for command. That's what that #1EP ticket is for. Giving it to someone who doesn't want command is wasting it.

My philosophy has always been maximum transparency when it comes to FITREPs. All of my DHs and JOs knew exactly where they stood. If, in this hypothetical, someone had feigned interest in command, only to switch things up after the HW FITREP, then I would probably consider that a violation of the trust I've worked hard to establish. Of course, there's always room for people to change their minds, and that's completely fine, but being deceptive or underhanded about it suggests that person is not an honest broker. In that case, why would I support/endorse that individual for a special program when they haven't been honest with me?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
@Brett327 , I don't disagree with your post on FITREP philosophy, and I'd wager any DH worth their salt understands that's how most COs are going to look at things.

That being said, not signing a #1 guy's endorsement for PFI, simply because he surprised you by not being interested in command could easily come off as being spiteful. Were this a real situation, the skipper would have known said DH for a while, worked closely with him, and I'd wager many more things would factor into this.