• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

klostman

the happy dance!
I'm in the process of submitting my application to my recruiter for the first of the 6 week PLC for summer 2003. One of the last things I need to do though is pass the ATSB. I took it once for the navy and didn't do well. Is there any other information out there besides ARCO that can help me pass it. I know its a tough test, but the more I look at it,I realize that its really not that bad, and I'm making tougher than it really is. Anything helps, thank you.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I did some refreshing on my math, Trig and Calc. Nothing can really prepare you for the Bio part. Mainly I just studied the "study-guide" that my OSO gave me and that helped. When are you scheduled for OCS?

2nd Lt Bailey

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I went 2nd increment both summers. Its hotter but that allowed me to attend the first summer session at college.

klostman

the happy dance!
Actually, I don't have a set date to go yet. I need to take that test and get a few more things.

marti

What are the required ASTB scores for Marine SNA's? I know I've seen it on here, but I can't find the damn post anywhere. Thanks in advance -Marti

USMCMidd

I just completed my first PLC increment this summer. I have an aviation contract and passed the ASTB on my first try. Flight simulator games were of great help for me when preparing. The ARCO book is good for testing and seeing where you are, but game manuals (as goofy as this sounds) do a lot more background info on areodynamics, nautical terminology, identification of various aircraft components. Also, playing the games themself allow you to better visualize the orientation of the aircraft in flight... i forget the exact name of that section on the ASTB. I suggest either Combat Flight sim 2 for basic terms, understanding basic flight concpets etc... and then F/A-18 or Falcon 4 for more modern terms and such. Falcon 4 has a great manual that encompases nearly everything you need to know. While it is Air Force orientated, many of the same rules apply to Marine Naval Aviation. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi

k_dog

What is the average score on the ASTB to get considered for Marine SNA? I 4,6,6 is the requirement, but what do most people have to get into the program? Thanks

Beaver

My OSO said that as long as you pass, it doesn't matter what scores you get. He said they don't look at anything but if you passed. Hopefully he's right.

kent1644

Beaver,
So what you are saying is that you can have less than 4 6 6 and still get accepted into pilot training or Nav school.

Beaver

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that you must at least get passing scores, but anything above passing doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if you barely pass or if you get a perfect score, according to my OSO, but you do still have to pass.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
My ASTB scores were AFQ: 5, PFAR: 5, FOAR: 4, and OAR 50. How do you reccomend I prepare for a retest? The above scores were from a second testing so I can't afford to not score better this time otherwise I will have to wait a year to retest. I am above naval standards but I am set on the corps.

marti

My suggestion for improving your ASTB score would be to use the ARCO and the Marine study guide. It is my opinion that by doing those two test over and over agian you will get the score you want. Know and understand every single problem that is on the practice tests. I took test #1 and most of the problems on those tests where on the ASTB in one form or another. Keep trying and don't give up. -Marti
P.S. Time yourself, and do the Spatial part until you can't stand to do it anymore. Then do it a few more times

klostman

the happy dance!
Thats what I would recommend. Even though I haven't passed the test yet, my second should score. I have just beat the material in my head till I understand it. More importantly, understand why the answer is such and such. I've been doing about an 1 hour a day or every other day and that seems to have worked well. I'll be taking it the end of this month so hopefully all goes well. ARCO is probably the best study guide along with the marine study guide.

topher1235

I just took the ASTB, 6/6 pilot 6/7 NFO. The ARCO manual helps a ton. Use all the tests though, not just the ASTB. For me the AFOQT sections helped out also. Your OSO should give you some prep material also, the only problem with the OSO material is that the answers are not fully explained. Well anyhow good luck on your prep for the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.