• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB ASTB-E Feedback/Study Guide

chubbychaser69

I took the whole ASTB-E in June of 2018. I did not buy a study guide and just used various online resources. I found out during the test that this was not very helpful. I did not do horrible but I did not do good enough for SNA/SNFO(Very close though). I am scheduled to take it again in August 2018.

OAR
The math wasn't too bad but there was a lot of basic probability and some algebra. Know how many types of things are in a deck of cards... I did not know this and I guessed on a question because of it.

The reading was similar to the "read the passage and pick what answer is correct" type of questions(Be aware that you read like military documents. You DO NOT read "Little Johnny went to the store and found a good book". The resources that I had found the reading was nothing like the actual test. It still was not too bad but it just took me a minute to grasp the military style docs.

The mechanical part... F that haha. I am an Electrical Engineering Major(Senior) so my physics is a little bit rusty. As far as the calculations went it wasn't too bad for me. It was mostly the name of the theories that had me spinning my wheels. I was bummed because I thought there would be some electrical questions that I could nail... Not one electrical question on that version of the test other than the questions that have to do with the charges and stuff like that.

AQR/PFAR/FOFAR

This part of the test was weird. The part where you answer questions about yourself was easy enough. There was a part that you need to figure out which parking lot the plane should go to... (I know... WTF is that. I will post the same youtube video that I watched the night before. It saved my a** for sure!)

As for the "flying" part of the test that was strange af. I didn't practice for this part but you really cant. It is just using a throttle/joystick and some buttons while listening to a dude in a headset saying some numbers/letters and you push the button on the throttle or the joystick depending on what he says.

Study Guide

I am currently studying for the ASTB. I just picked up the Trivium ASTB study guide. (It has a Boat on the cover) This book is what I should have got the first time around. I think that it is the closest thing you will find to the test. If you find/found something better, please let me know.

bjjhelm

Just send it
Hey! I'll be taking the test this Thursday (for the first time) so I've been studying my ass off. Question about the listening section: what is the pace of the numbers/letters you listen to? Like are they all going off all at once in both ears at rapid fire or are they a little bit more steadily paced and only in one ear at a time? Thanks!

chubbychaser69

Basically you have a headset on, duh. You will listen for the dude and he will give you a "target ear". It was like an even number in either ear(depending on which one is the target ear) you hit the trigger on the joystick and if it was an odd number then you hit the button on the throttle.

The answer to your question: The guy says the numbers and/or letters simultaneously. It is weird at first but they give you a practice run.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I took the whole ASTB-E in June of 2018. I did not buy a study guide and just used various online resources. I found out during the test that this was not very helpful. I did not do horrible but I did not do good enough for SNA/SNFO(Very close though). I am scheduled to take it again in August 2018.

OAR
The math wasn't too bad but there was a lot of basic probability and some algebra. Know how many types of things are in a deck of cards... I did not know this and I guessed on a question because of it.

The reading was similar to the "read the passage and pick what answer is correct" type of questions(Be aware that you read like military documents. You DO NOT read "Little Johnny went to the store and found a good book". The resources that I had found the reading was nothing like the actual test. It still was not too bad but it just took me a minute to grasp the military style docs.

The mechanical part... F that haha. I am an Electrical Engineering Major(Senior) so my physics is a little bit rusty. As far as the calculations went it wasn't too bad for me. It was mostly the name of the theories that had me spinning my wheels. I was bummed because I thought there would be some electrical questions that I could nail... Not one electrical question on that version of the test other than the questions that have to do with the charges and stuff like that.

AQR/PFAR/FOFAR

This part of the test was weird. The part where you answer questions about yourself was easy enough. There was a part that you need to figure out which parking lot the plane should go to... (I know... WTF is that. I will post the same youtube video that I watched the night before. It saved my a** for sure!)

As for the "flying" part of the test that was strange af. I didn't practice for this part but you really cant. It is just using a throttle/joystick and some buttons while listening to a dude in a headset saying some numbers/letters and you push the button on the throttle or the joystick depending on what he says.

Study Guide

I am currently studying for the ASTB. I just picked up the Trivium ASTB study guide. (It has a Boat on the cover) This book is what I should have got the first time around. I think that it is the closest thing you will find to the test. If you find/found something better, please let me know.

You do know there’s already threads created for ASTB tips, right?

abctotheabc

Yeah... and? You want to copy it and paste it for me?

giphy.gif

chubbychaser69

No but no need to create your own thread when dozens have already been made.

didn't think so... Seeing that you joined in 2006, you must know a lot about air warriors. I am a little new to this ill admit. The dozens that have been made are mostly involving the old version of the test. I am sure that there are some newer ones, and that is great. I have not found anything quite like the post that I made. I thought a unique post would need a unique/new thread.

bjjhelm

Just send it
Basically you have a headset on, duh. You will listen for the dude and he will give you a "target ear". It was like an even number in either ear(depending on which one is the target ear) you hit the trigger on the joystick and if it was an odd number then you hit the button on the throttle.

The answer to your question: The guy says the numbers and/or letters simultaneously. It is weird at first but they give you a practice run.
Thank you! That was one question I had a hard time solving, so I appreciate it. Good luck with your retake!