• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AR-15/M-4 Carry Handle Sight

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Guys - just bought a Carry handle sight for my flat top 16 inch Carbine from Bravo Company. Steel rear sight assembly is loose as a baby's rattle - and zeroes with rear sight index way way left.

Any ideas? Is this just a defective unit?

Pics and a short video here:

https://goo.gl/photos/GExKr2wzeiXp1JQj8

Renegade One

None
Does the unit mount "plumb" to the barrel centerline, or does tightening the knurled mounting knobs skew it to one side? If the latter, some very thin shims on the opposite side might help, if you absolutely MUST have it shoot to mechanical center (why, I dunno). Does the front sight appear to also be "centered and vertically plumb" (I assume it's a fixed post)? Have you tried different types/brands of ammo? Just too many variables to worry about the rear sight alone being the problem at this point, IMHO.

The actual grouping (once adjusted) looks pretty decent, and if you're happy with that and STILL have adequate windage correction available in both directions for any reasonable conditions/distances (and it appears you do…), I'd not worry too much about it. That's what windage correction is for…to adjust for myriad differences in the weapon/ammo/ambient conditions possibilities. Take it outside to the likely ranges you're going to use it for and see what increased range does to the polynomial equation. If you're able to hit where you aim at 1-200 yards, be happy.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Why on Earth would you put a carry handle sight on a flattop rifle when there are more compact options available?

(Nice choice of rifle, BTW. I think BCM is a solid company.)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
@Renegade One Appreciate the insight - makes sense. There is plenty of windage adjustment after zero. The OCD in me wants everything to line up mechanically. Turns out the sight is designed to be slightly cockeye'd to permit abuse. Learn something new every day.

@sevenhelmet I wanted the carry handle for the look of it - I have multiple uppers. When I shoot three gun, a 20" chromaly barrel, Surefire Comp, free float JP Rifles tube, and 1-4X optic go in it's place. I wanted a fairly stock 16" upper as GI config for display in my office - oval issue hand guards, F front sight post, A2 flash hider, and .. , carry handle.

Will likely purchase an AimPoint after tax man season.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
The rear sight indexing to one side is well within milspec, although that bugs me some too. All A2 sights can be moved around from side to side, some more than others. Based on the vid it looks good to go to me. My trunk gun has irons but I do admit that my eyes are bad enough now that everything else has an Aimpoint or ACOG of one kind or another. If based on your experience you really think the sight is defective I'd let BCM know about it. They have super CS.

Go shoot the hell out of it.

sevenhelmet

pilot
Nice. I wish I could display a rifle at my office, but I'd probably lose my clearance if I tried...

sevenhelmet

pilot
Oh, gotcha. I failed to consider that, since I have little ones about. My guns see far too little sunlight these days...