• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AOCS

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
For all you older guys out there, I was just invited to join an AOCS facbook group.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/233040299210/

There's some great stuff on there....for example, why you always wanted to make sure you secured your locker properly.....

253767_10150351263981040_4516810_n.jpg

Obviously this pictuire was taken after he followed the shaving cream order....

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
He's very lucky his rifle is still there. That's always the biggest pain. Especially when they disassemble it and distribute the parts around the DI office.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
He's very lucky his rifle is still there. That's always the biggest pain. Especially when they disassemble it and distribute the parts around the DI office.
Or when they buried the pieces in various places under the bushes in front of the Batt.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The other thing missing from this hurricane scene is a cloud of foot powder. That generally preceded the discovery of the scene pictured here all the way down the passageway.

I still remember the sinking feeling wondering if that was my locker or not.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The other thing missing from this hurricane scene is a cloud of foot powder. That generally preceded the discovery of the scene pictured here all the way down the passageway.

That feeling still exists. It's one of the few things that made it to Newport.

Renegade One

None
Think I want to call "shenanigans"…but I could be wrong…or maybe I'm dating myself...

Yellow name tag tape tells me he's a Candidate Officer…not subject to this kinda crap. Maybe he is/was the "instigator/instructor" in this educational exercise? Don't know (or cannot recall) about the white watch belt...

And doing anything like that to an M-1 Garand rifle is…just wrong.

Everything else looks familiar...

jmcquate

Contributor
My recollection (PLC) is if in the squad bay, weapons were secured in racks in the front. In the field we secured the shoulder straps to our web belts and slept with them……….sure enough, a Sgt Instructors hand reached in your tent on the middle of the night looking for an unsecured weapon. In the morning there were neat stacks of staff rifle prizes and much anxiety ensured.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Think I want to call "shenanigans"…but I could be wrong…or maybe I'm dating myself...

Yellow name tag tape tells me he's a Candidate Officer…not subject to this kinda crap. Maybe he is/was the "instigator/instructor" in this educational exercise? Don't know (or cannot recall) about the white watch belt...

And doing anything like that to an M-1 Garand rifle is…just wrong.

Everything else looks familiar...

Yellow tape on the name tag is Batt II. White tape was for candi-o's. The belt was for duty, most likely BOOD.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The difference is that the weapons at OCS are actual firing weapons. The M-1s at AOCS were drill only weapons that were kept locked in the individual wall lockers when not involved in drill.

Renegade One

None
Yellow tape on the name tag is Batt II. White tape was for candi-o's. The belt was for duty, most likely BOOD.
Okay…swapped since my day…I was Batt II and we were WHITE. 3 Batts…red, white and blue, in that order. Candidate Officers were yellow. Of course, that's back when the world was new and leaves were green….and dinosaurs still roamed the earth.

Told you I could be dating myself...

Renegade One

None
The difference is that the weapons at OCS are actual firing weapons. The M-1s at AOCS were drill only weapons that were kept locked in the individual wall lockers when not involved in drill.
I'm sure there's a "manhood" point here…now tell me how many rounds you put through YOUR weapon. ;)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I'm sure there's a "manhood" point here…now tell me how many rounds you put through YOUR weapon. ;)

Not really. We only fired blanks at Marine OCS. Probably a few hundred. The point is that shooting weapons wasn't on the agenda at AOCS. Drill was. A lot of it. Supposedly classes in years before they got pistol qualled, but not in 1989.

jmcquate

Contributor
Not really. We only fired blanks at Marine OCS. Probably a few hundred. The point is that shooting weapons wasn't on the agenda at AOCS. Drill was. A lot of it. Supposedly classes in years before they got pistol qualled, but not in 1989.
There was a day of live range rounds.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
After AOCS folded into OCS in '94 the classes got to try pistol qual (I say try, because you got a few rounds for practice and then the qual shoot began). We inherited those M1s from AOCS and as I recall they had been demilled by a lengthwise cut along the barrel and by the removal of their firing pins.

They worked just fine for drill- you could strip them, the bolts, safety, and trigger functioned, and they made a proper click at the last step of "inspection arms." As I also recall, at approx 10 pounds and held out at arms' length they worked just fine for PT too... :)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Wait- so did Marines go to AOCS instead of OCS in Quantico?