• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any downside to becoming a Florida resident?

Hammer10k

pilot
Hi all,

I'm coming from Georgia. Our SNA in-brief advised us to become Florida residents to save on income tax. Is there any downside to this?

Thank you!

Last edited:

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Do it. No state income tax (or income tax return to do) for your active duty time.

And when you get stationed out of state, buy a car, register it in FL, and skip out on sales tax.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
And when you get stationed out of state, buy a car, register it in FL, and skip out on sales tax.

Not quite. You pay sales tax where you bought it, just not to Florida. If you somehow convince the seller to not charge sales tax and also don't pay sales tax to Florida, that's considered fraud and brings some serious monetary penalties.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only downside is if you could be an Alaska resident instead and get some of that sweet pipeline money.

Otherwise, yeah: become a FL resident and stay that way as long as possible. NC and TX are good too.

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Do it. No state income tax (or income tax return to do) for your active duty time.

Also not completely true. If/once you move out of FL and you have a spouse, you both get to do a state return. The joy is flipping the bird to the state at the end of the return knowing all that money they took is coming back. Even more satisfying when you get married at the end of the tax year.

I'm looking at you, California....

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Not quite. You pay sales tax where you bought it, just not to Florida. If you somehow convince the seller to not charge sales tax and also don't pay sales tax to Florida, that's considered fraud and brings some serious monetary penalties.

The tax collectors office will have you sign some paperwork saying that if you do not enter the state of Florida with the vehicle for a certain amount of time they waive the taxes. This is indeed completely legal as you fulfill your tax obligation to the state of FL. The fines are high if you're caught in violation of said agreement though.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor

In general I'd agree, but this is a specific FL exemption. Saved me a few thousand and is 100% legal. Details in the link I posted.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Also not completely true. If/once you move out of FL and you have a spouse, you both get to do a state return. The joy is flipping the bird to the state at the end of the return knowing all that money they took is coming back. Even more satisfying when you get married at the end of the tax year.

I'm looking at you, California....

Good point. Was referring to single folks.

If you can swing it, mucho benefits from having your spouse also being a FL resident. I lucked out and got married in advanced and did this. Being residents of the same state also qualifies your spouse for Military Spouse Residency Relief Act, allowing them to keep residency in a state if you get PCSed.