• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any bad experiences with PRK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter86

I Have not heard many gripes about PRK, and since I am considering getting this procedure done, I thought I would ask if anybody has had any problems with it. Also, what is it like getting the surgery? I have heard there is little discomfort and the recovery time is not too long, and your vision is corrected in a matter of weeks. Is this true? Thanks for your time.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
yep, I'm totally blind now!!! ahhh, i can't see.

my wife was looking at getting it done... i only heard about possible halos around lights at night. that would not be good if you're getting it to go into aviation. I don't know the chances though, probably slim to nine.

I had PRK done almost 3 weeks ago. The surgery itself isn't painful at all, but for two or three days after the surgery your eyes will hurt at times. It helps a lot if you stay out of the sun. They only hurt while the top layer of your cornea is growing back, but that only takes about two or three days.

As far as halos go, you will probably notice them for a little while after you get the surgery, but they go away after a while. I don't think that I've noticed any halos in a while. My vision right now is probably very near 20/20 right eye, and at least 20/40 left eye. Unfortunatley it takes a while for your best corrected vision to finally stabilize...I've heard some people taking as long as 9 months. Hopefully I won't have to wait that long (in order to get a waiver for PRK, you have to have two eye exams at least a month apart where the refraction of your eyes does not change at all.) Let me know if you have any other questions

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I had it in August...the first three days were torture for me while that outer later grew back, after that some days you'd see better than others. My eyes stabalized at 20/15 after 3 months and they've been there since. PM me if you've got any questions.

SAR522

I just had PRK done 3 weeks ago and I love it. I had it done on a Friday and by Monday the pain was gone. My vision was very blurry for the first week or so, but after that you'll see constant improvements everyday. I'm not even fully healed yet and I'm at 20/20 in both eyes. The only downfall is the cost, I paid $3,300. I'm currently active duty, but the wait is 3 to 6 years for everybody but SEALS and Pilots.
I would definitely recommend it to anybody.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
the Halos are from the laser not being large enough, or something like that. If you get "Flying Spot" (thats what they called it where I had mine) you don't have that problem, b/c they measure your eye and customize the size.

Yeah, I would imagine that halos are a problem for people who got PRK a while ago. The surgery has been around since about 1995 or so. Nowadays they do what they call WaveFront or Custom Cornea on your eye which is basically a very detailed map of your eye. This is used to customize the surgery to your own eye. The machines they use to do this are actually pretty cool :)

scooter86

Thanks a lot for your answers, it sounds like PRK is a pretty secure thing. Hehe I am starting saving up money today.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
scooter86 said:
Thanks a lot for your answers, it sounds like PRK is a pretty secure thing. Hehe I am starting saving up money today.

Dude, your in Houston, right? I live in Nacogdoches and I am going to see Dr. Holloday in the first week of July for my consultation. I have e-mailed his staff and they are very helpful. My girlfriend's mother used him for lense replacement surgery and she was extremely pleased. Here is his webpage, http://www.docholladay.com/ , he has a naval background, and is a pioneer in PRK. If you have any other converns pm me and if you want I will let you know how my consultation goes.

Best Regards,

Travis

scooter86

Thanks a lot, I will look into it. His office is actually about a 5 minute walk from where I live, pretty convinient. I have plenty of time though, I was not planning on getting PRK for at least 3 more years.

SNAWannabe

Prk

Typically everthing I have heard about PRK is great and everybody seems like they are 20/15 or atleast 20/20. I guess there is always the exception, which nobody really wants to hear about. I had PRK August 2002, after about 9 months I was about 20/30, but I had lost my best corrected vision. I was no longer correctable to 20/20 for some reason...I had a touchup procedure May 2003, and now over 1 year later I am pretty much 20/30, but only correctable to 20/25. Not really sure what to do at this point, but I certainly can't apply because you must be 20/20 correctable. Not necessarily a bad experience, but it has been a trying one.

Whalebite

Wannabe
See other doctors, get a second and third opinion, have another dr look at your laser printouts, your pre op, and see if everything was done right. What laser was used? Did you go to the same dr for your first and second treatment/ use the same laser? I'm sure you've been through all this, but good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.