• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

anti-depressants...a bad word?

erinbynight

erinbynight
I was wondering what the Marines position was on persons who have been on anti-depressants at some point in their lives and how that factors into the officer admission process. I have some other concerns about them...anyone think they can help? PM or respond. Thanks.

FlytheBall

Maybe, maybe not, maybe go fvck yourself.
pilot
I dont know about Marines, but as far as the Navy is concerned, I had a good friend that was on them and he had a flight spot. All he had to do was give up the drugs and they would have let him fly, but he didnt want to. So he transferred into another community. Not sure about the acceptance/marine corps part though. Hope that helps a little bit.

erinbynight

erinbynight
I took them senior year in high school because my mom and I fought a lot, and she thought I needed them (I dont' think I did!) and I was off and on them at some point in my early college years (freshman and sophomore). I look back now, and know they were not for depression, but because I was having a hard time and my mom wanted me on them. I am going into grad school now, so I've been clear of them for three years. I have no wish to go back on them for any reason whatsoever. Thanks for the replies. I'm just not sure how to express all this when the question comes up. I applied for a Navy program my junior year in college, and feel this was one reason I was not selected (there could have been another reason...because, of course, they don't tell you why you weren't selected!).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I took them senior year in high school because my mom and I fought a lot, and she thought I needed them (I dont' think I did!) and I was off and on them at some point in my early college years (freshman and sophomore). I look back now, and know they were not for depression, but because I was having a hard time and my mom wanted me on them. I am going into grad school now, so I've been clear of them for three years. I have no wish to go back on them for any reason whatsoever. Thanks for the replies. I'm just not sure how to express all this when the question comes up. I applied for a Navy program my junior year in college, and feel this was one reason I was not selected (there could have been another reason...because, of course, they don't tell you why you weren't selected!).
It doesn't sound like it should be an issue.

Rasczak

Marine
Would you recommend not admitting to being on anti-depressants on ones application if it's been over 5 years since being on them? My mom thought I was depressed, I say it was just puberty, but who knows, the doctor put me on them for 3-4 months.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would you recommend not admitting to being on anti-depressants on ones application if it's been over 5 years since being on them? My mom thought I was depressed, I say it was just puberty, but who knows, the doctor put me on them for 3-4 months.

I recommend being honest about that kind of thing. They will pull your medical records and find out, then you'll be screwed. Just fess up and it won't be a big deal if you've been off meds and asymptomatic for that long.

Brett

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yea to what Steve and Brett have said. Be honest, provide as much documentation as you can. Asymptomatic and off meds are key.

Good luck to you.

boobcheese

I recommend being honest about that kind of thing. They will pull your medical records and find out, then you'll be screwed. Just fess up and it won't be a big deal if you've been off meds and asymptomatic for that long.

Brett

I not suggesting anyone lie, but can "they" really pull your your civilian medical records? I would imagine they might request them if they had a reason to follow up on something but I wouldn't think that in the course of a normal background investigation they would have any access to your medical records.

*I have no particular insight into what "they" can or cannot do in the course of a background investigation so those more knowlegeable feel free to correct my ignorance.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I not suggesting anyone lie, but can "they" really pull your your civilian medical records? I would imagine they might request them if they had a reason to follow up on something but I wouldn't think that in the course of a normal background investigation they would have any access to your medical records.

*I have no particular insight into what "they" can or cannot do in the course of a background investigation so those more knowlegeable feel free to correct my ignorance.

I guess if "they" can pull records that to most everyone else have been expunged, then "they" can also find out what meds you were on when, as long as the documents are all there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Absolutely. When I enlisted, "they" (I.E. my recruiter) had my medical records including the two times I was hospitalized for various childhood injuries that occurred around age 10.

Brett

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Absolutely. When I enlisted, "they" (I.E. my recruiter) had my medical records including the two times I was hospitalized for various childhood injuries that occurred around age 10.

Brett

This wasn't a result of you playing house with a girl was it? Fathers can suck when you're young.

boobcheese

I guess if "they" can pull records that to most everyone else have been expunged, then "they" can also find out what meds you were on when, as long as the documents are all there.

Apples and oranges. Legal proceedings (public record) and you privately seeing your physician (for that raging case of anal warts) are not equally accessible to big brother nor should they be.

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Brett

May have been then. HIPAA would make that a non-starter now without your signature. That being said the folks that say admit it are right.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This wasn't a result of you playing house with a girl was it? Fathers can suck when you're young.

Fell ~25 feet out of my treehouse reaching for a piece of delicious Bubble-Yum bubble gum, resulting in multiple compound fractures - bad times.

@ Pugs: I'm sure there was probably a signature involved somewhere, but it's not like refusal to give consent wouldn't draw suspicion either. If you want in, they're going to get at your medical records.

Brett