• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

American Airlines deal for Military

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060110/datu031.html?.v=42

American Airlines Thanks U.S. Military Personnel By Extending Special Fares and Other Offers

Tuesday January 10, 11:19 am ET

Troop Transports Also Continue; Employee Support Remains Strong as Well

FORT WORTH, Texas, Jan. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines has extended through June 1, 2006, several special offers that are available exclusively for active-duty members of the U.S. military. These offers include discounted airfares, relaxed advance purchase requirements and preferred boarding privileges.
"We appreciate and admire the courageous efforts of U.S. military personnel around the world to keep our country safe and strong," said Dan Garton, American's Executive Vice President of Marketing. "And we recognize the great sacrifice that their family members also make. As a result, American Airlines is pleased to extend these special offers to military members and their loved ones."

Active-duty members of the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, National Guard and Reserves who are on leave or furlough (including those who are traveling within seven days of discharge from active service), and their spouse and dependent children, are eligible for the special military fares. The fares are available for travel to domestic and various international destinations.

In addition, the discounted military fares may be purchased up to a week after reservations are made -- versus 24 hours for most non-military discount fares -- making it easier for military personnel and their families to make travel arrangements.

Here are samples of American's great low fares for the U.S. military. Fares shown are each way, based on a round-trip purchase:

UNITED STATES

City Pair Fare Each Way
Chicago O'Hare - Denver $79
Dallas/Fort Worth - Kansas City $79
Atlanta - Chicago O'Hare+ $129
Raleigh/Durham - St. Louis++ $129
Dallas/Fort Worth - Washington, D.C. $129
Nashville - New York City $129
Colorado Springs - Dallas/Fort Worth $129
Dallas/Fort Worth - Norfolk, Va.+ $169
Dallas/Fort Worth - San Diego $169

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Just wanted to add the phone number ...

Travel arrangements can be made at American Airlines ticketing locations or by calling American's reservations number at 1-800-433-7300 (en Espanol 1-800-633-3711) within the United States and Canada. Outside the United States and Canada, call the local reservations number. Military ID must be presented at the time of airport check-in.

Whalebite

Also these fares are usually only discounted from the most expensive fares, I checked a 'military discount fare' was about 500$ wheras the same ticket on hotwire was about 250.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
i've gotten several good military fares (especially last minute) from american by calling the number (you can't get them online), but they do charge you a $5 fee for booking over the phone, which is annoying.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Checked for the wife to fly next month, and found that (subject to availability) she could go $10 cheaper than AirTran's advance purchase fare (I refuse to fly AirTran) and book the day before her flight.

Looks like a good deal for us if they have availability.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
Ugh.. AirTran. I tried to go stand by on an earlier plane, that had seats available, but they wanted $100.. no thanks. :)

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Had two bad flights with AirTran. One into North Carolina where we waited almost two hours for our bags to be unloaded. Never had anyone come and explain why, just kept waiting by the carousel.

Other flight was the deal breaker though. Got on the flight and the flight attendent stuck another passengers DOG under the seat in front of me. I'm 6'2" and I pack so that I can keep as much leg room available as I can. Since I didn't have a bag under there, and the lady with the dog had requested the front row seat which had no seat in front to put her dog under (in one of those soft containers), the attendant figured my spot was as good as any. I (wrongly) assumed that she'd take the damn thing back after the takeoff. Well, after we were at altitude I spoke to the FA, who told me that unfortunately the dog had to remain where it was (whining and growling). FA then proceeds to be rude to the guy behind me because he was growling back at some other lady's dog (think there was a dog show wherever we had been). So now I'm cramped up and pissed. The FA's screw around half the flight in the back and I only get one drink on the long flight. As we finally touch down, two cases of soda cans fly out over the front end of the cabin, since somebody didn't secure the tray or door. We then get told to hold on while the FA retrieves the stupid dog so that its owner can be the first one off the flight.

Fuck AirTran.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Whalebite said:
Also these fares are usually only discounted from the most expensive fares, I checked a 'military discount fare' was about 500$ wheras the same ticket on hotwire was about 250.

i agree. Ive had good experiences with hotwire. Especially since they knock off 30-40 bucks if you let them select the approximate time. You just have to select the time of day (i.e. morning, afternoon, evening).