• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I a candidate for PRK?

Bill James

My vision has gotten slightly worse in the past 6 months to a year, and I was just wondering whether or not this would disqualify me from getting PRK surgery. Doesn't your vision have to be stable for a period of time prior to surgery?

beaverslayer

pilot
You would have to go talk to a doc to get a definitive answer, but I'm fairly sure they will tell you that your vision has to be stable for several years before they will operate.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I was told your vision has to be stable for at least a year, preferably more. Go get a free consultation at an eye doctor, they'll tell you for sure.

Bill James

Ok, well let me ask you another question. When does my vision have to be 20/40 or better? Could I just go through OCS and TBS and then get PRK?

Scruff

None
Contributor
Ok, well let me ask you another question. When does my vision have to be 20/40 or better? Could I just go through OCS and TBS and then get PRK?

When you go to MEPS before you can get a final select to OCS. So no you could not go through OCTS and TBS.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Bill James

Damn. Because my eyesight has changed in the past year, that means that I would at least have to wait another year before I could get PRK. How many months do you have to put between PRK and OCS? Is there a certain amount of time that must pass, or could I get PRK and then go to OCS a month later?

Scruff

None
Contributor
Damn. Because my eyesight has changed in the past year, that means that I would at least have to wait another year before I could get PRK. How many months do you have to put between PRK and OCS? Is there a certain amount of time that must pass, or could I get PRK and then go to OCS a month later?

You have to wait 6 months post PRK before you can go to MEPS for your vision test.