• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force Pilot Stats!

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
I came across this website which tries to compile statistics from various pilots in the Air Force on how they got selected. I thought it was an interesting comparison of what the Air Force looks for at the pilot's boards. It also has a section that you can reach from the top that shows openings in Guard slots in states across the country and due dates on application. Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting resource to share and review.

http://www.wantscheck.com/PilotSlotResources/PilotSlotStats/tabid/59/Default.aspx

jtf

Very cool....

Nice, very nice, I'm actually applying to ANG units and Air Force reserve units. I think I'm doing well be looking at the stats.

JTF:D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Getting an Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard unit is a lot different then getting an active duty pilot slot. Many compare it to rushing a faternity. You have to sell yourself to the unit. Once the wants you, it really doesn't matter what your "stats" are. They are paying for the UPT and they can get waivers for just about anything. This is probablay even more true with a Guard unit.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Very true from what I hear HAL. If they like you, you're in. There was a kid from a nearby town in Georgia that got a commission and a UPT slot at 18 from SCANG. He was a fully rated viper pilot by his 21st birthday. His call sign is "Neo"... the chosen one.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Very true from what I hear HAL. If they like you, you're in. There was a kid from a nearby town in Georgia that got a commission and a UPT slot at 18 from SCANG. He was a fully rated viper pilot by his 21st birthday. His call sign is "Neo"... the chosen one.

Gotta hand it to the guy....in the infinite wisdom of Ali G
Ali-G-Respect.gif

DaRevrend

USAF T-34 Stud
I'm not fully throwing the BS flag on the "Neo" story, but that timeline is a bit suspect. If he already had a degree and 25hours then he would still have to go to OCS for 12 weeks to get his commission. I'm assuming that scenario because ROTC and Academy would take far longer to get butter bars.

After that he would PCS to his UPT base for 54 weeks of training. Follow that with TDY for Combat Survival, Water and SERE training. Next up is another TDY for Intro to Fighter Fundamentals for 6 weeks. Now it's time to PCS and learn how to fly the Viper for 24 weeks and a few more weeks for some additional top off courses for the specific block a/c and new pods, etc.

That's puts the kid at 102 weeks bare minimum training, not figuring in any time for the two PCS or waits before class start dates in any phase of training. I mean, the AF isn't the Navy with free long vacations before every subsequent block of training, but it's not like he's graduating on Friday and starting the next thing within a week, with the exception of 37s-38s which was accounted for in the 54 weeks.

If he did have a college degree and IFS complete at 19, and he was blessed by the AFPC folks with class start dates for every block of training right on top of each other, then it would be possible and more power to him. Respect indeed and incredible luck in timing during the training pipeline.

I'll be good to go at 23, and I'm usually the baby in the class.

Rev

Marine4life

Xmid is right about the young Viper driver. I read about him a few years back in some magazine (can't remember). Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
He grad'd college at 18 and applied for Alabama ANG, didnt get it so went to SCANG and go it. Look him up on f-16.net hes on there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That is such an Air Force callsign. :icon_roll

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I'm not fully throwing the BS flag on the "Neo" story, but that timeline is a bit suspect. If he already had a degree and 25hours then he would still have to go to OCS for 12 weeks to get his commission. I'm assuming that scenario because ROTC and Academy would take far longer to get butter bars.

After that he would PCS to his UPT base for 54 weeks of training. Follow that with TDY for Combat Survival, Water and SERE training. Next up is another TDY for Intro to Fighter Fundamentals for 6 weeks. Now it's time to PCS and learn how to fly the Viper for 24 weeks and a few more weeks for some additional top off courses for the specific block a/c and new pods, etc.

That's puts the kid at 102 weeks bare minimum training, not figuring in any time for the two PCS or waits before class start dates in any phase of training. I mean, the AF isn't the Navy with free long vacations before every subsequent block of training, but it's not like he's graduating on Friday and starting the next thing within a week, with the exception of 37s-38s which was accounted for in the 54 weeks.

If he did have a college degree and IFS complete at 19, and he was blessed by the AFPC folks with class start dates for every block of training right on top of each other, then it would be possible and more power to him. Respect indeed and incredible luck in timing during the training pipeline.

I'll be good to go at 23, and I'm usually the baby in the class.

Rev

What you're not seeing is that he's Air National Guard. They do a 6 week commissioning program called AMS, and he commissioned at 18. Its possible, but completely out of the ordinary.