• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After speaking with a recruiter

Nathant09

Hey all,

A little about myself- I joined the Navy Reserve in 2012 while in college. I'm still in the Navy Reserves and graduated college in 2014. I'm looking to apply for OCS to become an Active Duty Officer.

I recently spoke with an officer recruiter and told the recruiter about myself and me currently being in the reserves. The recruiter told me because I'm currently a reservist, I would just follow the OPNAVINST and submit the application myself. I was a little concern about that because I thought I would still need to go through a recruiter to submit a package. I mentioned my concern to him, and he stated that was the process and because I'm in the Navy, I wouldn't need to take the ASTB. That also confused me, because I thought the test was required for everyone.

Does anyone currently knows the process of a reservist applying for OCS? Is the ASTB required?
Any information would be greatly appreciated, and also information from a current Officer Recruiter.

Thanks

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey all,

A little about myself- I joined the Navy Reserve in 2012 while in college. I'm still in the Navy Reserves and graduated college in 2014. I'm looking to apply for OCS to become an Active Duty Officer.

I recently spoke with an officer recruiter and told the recruiter about myself and me currently being in the reserves. The recruiter told me because I'm currently a reservist, I would just follow the OPNAVINST and submit the application myself. I was a little concern about that because I thought I would still need to go through a recruiter to submit a package. I mentioned my concern to him, and he stated that was the process and because I'm in the Navy, I wouldn't need to take the ASTB. That also confused me, because I thought the test was required for everyone.

Does anyone currently knows the process of a reservist applying for OCS? Is the ASTB required?
Any information would be greatly appreciated, and also information from a current Officer Recruiter.

Thanks

You need to take the ASTB/OAR just like any civilian applicant off the streets. You will contact the OR to schedule the exam. I posted the FLEET OCS CHECKLIST on a separate thread to help out Active Duty/SELRES applicants out with that they need to complete in order to submit.

exNavyOffRec

Hey all,

Thanks

I don't know how much you looked into OCS back in 2012 but the process changed 2012/2013 so reservist now go through the CCC and OPNAVINST

Nathant09

You need to take the ASTB/OAR just like any civilian applicant off the streets. You will contact the OR to schedule the exam. I posted the FLEET OCS CHECKLIST on a separate thread to help out Active Duty/SELRES applicants out with that they need to complete in order to submit.

Thank you. I do have the FLEET OCS Checklist. My biggest issue was the recruiter telling me the ASTB/OAR wasn't required when I knew it was for all applicants. Thanks for verifying the info.

Nathant09

I don't know how much you looked into OCS back in 2012 but the process changed 2012/2013 so reservist now go through the CCC and OPNAVINST

I was just going the reserves in 2o12 so didn't know to much about OCS. Thanks for the info. I have printed out the OPNAVINST and will be contacting my CCC.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you. I do have the FLEET OCS Checklist. My biggest issue was the recruiter telling me the ASTB/OAR wasn't required when I knew it was for all applicants. Thanks for verifying the info.

I am surprised a recruiter would say that unless he was an enlisted recruiter, often I would have to correct info from people in the fleet from CCC or officers trying to help, such as a sailor being told a history major is fine for CEC since degree types don't matter for those on AD, or you can apply for SEAL anytime because they constantly review AD applicants, or if you are on AD you already are medically cleared to be an officer, it was amusing and sad at the same time.

Nathant09

I am surprised a recruiter would say that unless he was an enlisted recruiter, often I would have to correct info from people in the fleet from CCC or officers trying to help, such as a sailor being told a history major is fine for CEC since degree types don't matter for those on AD, or you can apply for SEAL anytime because they constantly review AD applicants, or if you are on AD you already are medically cleared to be an officer, it was amusing and sad at the same time.

He was an officer recruiter. He did tell me upfront that he wasn't 100% sure about the process for someone already in the military, in which he did call me back with the info because he said he wanted to double check himself. But I'm honestly not sure why he think I don't need to take the ASTB, but I will reach back out to him to let him know that it is required.

I have another question for you. I'll be leaving in about a month to complete a Mobilization overseas. My plan was to complete my package and have it submitted before I leave but honestly with the time I have and the interviews I need and stuff, I'm not sure if that's possible. Do you have any advice? Do you recommend I do as much as I can not and submit it once I get to my MOB location? (Of course the biggest thing would be to take the ASTB before I leave. I'm note sure If I'll be able to take it where I'm going)