• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF or Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy4723

So I am having trouble deciding between the AF or the Navy for a pilot position. I talked with Navy recruiter today and he said that with my GPA and my aviation experience I have a very good shot at getting selected for a flight slot. The thing that I'm really struggling with is which branch to go to. I think I've narrowed it down between the Navy and the Air Force. Navy service obligation is 6 years(2 year training, and 4 AD), and the AF obligation is 10 years(I think that timer starts after UPT, so more like 11 years). I think 11 years is way too long for me, plus I also like the culture of the Navy better. The only problem I have with the Navy is that they assign about 50% of their pilots to helicopters. I would very much prefer to stay out of rotor, it's not that I would not necessarily like flying helos, but I don't think I can land a job at a Major airline like Delta, AA, Fedex with just Rotor time. (After my service time) Plus I also like flying fixed wing more, it's what I learned to fly on and I'm good at it. Thoughts? Thanks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So I am having trouble deciding between the AF or the Navy for a pilot position. I talked with Navy recruiter today and he said that with my GPA and my aviation experience I have a very good shot at getting selected for a flight slot. The thing that I'm really struggling with is which branch to go to. I think I've narrowed it down between the Navy and the Air Force. Navy service obligation is 6 years(2 year training, and 4 AD), and the AF obligation is 10 years(I think that timer starts after UPT, so more like 11 years). I think 11 years is way too long for me, plus I also like the culture of the Navy better. The only problem I have with the Navy is that they assign about 50% of their pilots to helicopters. I would very much prefer to stay out of rotor, it's not that I would not necessarily like flying helos, but I don't think I can land a job at a Major airline like Delta, AA, Fedex with just Rotor time. (After my service time) Plus I also like flying fixed wing more, it's what I learned to fly on and I'm good at it. Thoughts? Thanks.

How about neither?

Navy Pilot obligation is 8 years after wings, so between 1.5-2.5 years of flight school and your service time you're looking at around 10 years as well. I think you need to do some more soul searching and even some homework before making a choice. Also, selecting jets is by no means a guarantee. What happens if you select helos during primary? Simply gonna quit?

flyguy4723

How about neither?

Navy Pilot obligation is 8 years after wings, so between 1.5-2.5 years of flight school and your service time you're looking at around 10 years as well. I think you need to do some more soul searching and even some homework before making a choice. Also, selecting jets is by no means a guarantee. What happens if you select helos during primary? Simply gonna quit?

uhhh no, Navy pilot commitment is 4 years.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
uhhh no, Navy pilot commitment is 4 years.

Well... whatever you say. I'm just a recruiter and all...

Lipton_Kermit.png

Status
Not open for further replies.