• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A place in San Diego?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I will be reporting to HSC-3 on the 28th of January 2008.

Anybody have a recommendation of a place to live in or near San Diego, and more importantly... is anyone looking for a roommate?

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
If you find roommates, Coronado is nice and close to base. Downtown is always good. I'd recomend living north of the bridge to make traffic less painful.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Mission Valley is a solid area too. I took I-15 S in the morning to North Island and traffic was going the other way and vice versa in the afternoon.

AJB37

Pacific Beach.....'nuff said

I agree, I lived there for two years... if you rent there look a little further back from the beach, like past Ingraham st, you can find some really nice places there... closer to the beach is expensive and the apartments are generally run down relics of the 70's.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I lived in Mission Valley and it was a good place to live. It wasn't too far from base or downtown and the traffic was never very bad no matter what time of the day. However, some of the apartments are fairly high priced so living with a roomate would probably be the best, like you said you were.

-Ken

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I live in Mission Valley and I'm a fan. I've heard good things about PB too.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
I live in Mission Valley and I'm a fan. I've heard good things about PB too.

But if you live in PB, don't live right near the bars. I knew some people that lived near the bars and had car windows broken on several occasions by drunks passing by.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I lived in PB back in my young single ensign Shoe days. REAL fun. Downtown is also awesome - if you've never been, the Gaslamp and environs are part of the new-hip-urban-living deal. Loft apts, that sort of thing.

I was there for NMCPS (pre-IA admin) this summer, and was really surprised how much they've expanded the trolley system. Goes way out to the east now, all the way to El Cajon, paralleling I-8 ("the Eight" as they say in SoCali). More and more places downtown and out along Mission Valley/Fashion valley are being built for proximity to the stations. Won't help you get to Coronado, but awesome for otherwise getting around. Take it downtown to hit the bars, let the Trolley be your DD home, like that.

And find a roommate. Rent on a nice place in SD is generally juuuuuust beyond your BAH. By yourself, you can afford "Clean and Adequate". With a roomie, you can afford "Bitchin' Crib". I'm sure you can find somebody else heading to the RAG.

Do they give you house-hunting leave out of the HT's? If so, take it. I know a guy who didn't, rented his place sight-unseen without doing much research. Got a real nice loft in Hillcrest. Look it up.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I know a guy who didn't, rented his place sight-unseen without doing much research. Got a real nice loft in Hillcrest. Look it up.

HA HA. Nice, I met someone who found a "nice" place in Hillcrest for his tour with ACB-1 down at the Amphib base.

In regards to Mission Valley, I had a friend live at the Promenade, which, no shit has a trolley stop on it's property. That's uber convienent.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Car problems-wise for me wasn't the drunks as car theives. Because it's so close to the border, the SD area has a big problem with people rippin' rides and taking them to chop shops in TJ. My truck was broken into twice, and then almost stolen. So if you can find a place with secure parking, garage or whatever, I'd recc that.

I should add, you're going to have a lot of fun living in San Dog. If you don't, you're doing it wrong.

Beautiful weather, gorgeous women, fun town, so much to do and see. All the benefits of big-city living without the usual hassles. Sports and entertainment venues, great food, big parks, awesome downtown, yet crime and traffic are surprisingly not that big a deal. Costs of living are high (it's California) but not absurd. Do a lot of research on exactly where you want live, because it makes a big difference in your SD experience.

Even as a very junior SWO on a miserable ship (Captain from Hell), I loved SD. Drive home at the end of a typical day of blackshoe nut-crunching, and it's sunny and 72 and there are sculpted goddesses Rollerblading in bikinis through Mission Bay Park...how do you not enjoy life?

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Car problems-wise for me wasn't the drunks as car theives. Because it's so close to the border, the SD area has a big problem with people rippin' rides and taking them to chop shops in TJ. My truck was broken into twice, and then almost stolen. So if you can find a place with secure parking, garage or whatever, I'd recc that.

That was a major problem I had in my parking garage, and my garage was underground parking with a remote control gate, under my condo complex. The car that parked next to me (cadillac) got broken into 3 times in the 6 months that I lived there. However, it was really tricked out with T.V.'s in the back of the headrests of the front seats. I had a newer stock Camaro Z28 and it was never touched. I think they primarily go for the cars with a lot of after market and custom parts.