• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A day in the life as a CG Aviator?

LivingSacrifice

Hey guys, I was reading around and it looks like there's a ton of good information on here. I'm considering applying for BLUE 21, as I recently completed my bachelor's and I'm a private pilot.

My knowledge of the Coast Guard is limited to what I've been able to find over the course of multiple google searches. I'm trying to get an accurate picture as to what life is like day-to-day as a USCG pilot. The primary reason I would be joining would be to fly. At this point I have no idea what collateral duties are (or specifically, what examples of them are).

I read in another post that helo pilots average 25-35 hours a month. What's the rest of the time look like? If I'm coming in with zero military experience, do you any of you guys have any insight as to what the path looks like (what different steps I'd go through before actually getting assigned somewhere)?

Thanks!

LivingSacrifice

Hey Spanky, thanks for the reply. That's the vibe I'm getting from many Coasties who have posted on boards like this, and honestly, what makes me think that I'm missing out by not doing it.

One thing I'm pretty concerned about is being borrowed by another branch and shipped overseas. Is that something you've seen happen? Or do you know how often it happens?

Oh, and how much control do you have over where you end up? I know it's kind of the luck of the draw because it's based on the CG's needs, but do they try to accomodate you or are you just stuck with what they give you?

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
One thing I'm pretty concerned about is being borrowed by another branch and shipped overseas. Is that something you've seen happen? Or do you know how often it happens?

Oh, and how much control do you have over where you end up? I know it's kind of the luck of the draw because it's based on the CG's needs, but do they try to accomodate you or are you just stuck with what they give you?

You won't get sent over seas by another service. Once you are a CG pilot, you remain one unless you decide to leave.

Like previous post, it totally depends on the needs of the service, what spots are open, and what you ask for. I will tell you this, I've never gotten my first choice of assignments, but I've never been disappointed by where I was sent. If you make the best of what you get, you won't be disappointed with any location as an aviator.

Brunes

pilot
Deferred to greater experience-CoastieFlyer said everything I would have....and better too.

BUT:
That all being said- It's all singular experience and is subject to change. And I love work for the CG...=) Being aviation side is even better!!

LivingSacrifice

Hey guys, thanks for the great info. Did you all come in as DCA's? I'm curious what the time table would look like if I did BLUE 21; ie, how long should I expect to wait before I would actually be in Pensacola flying? Is there anything besides OCS that come between being a civilian and starting flight school?

Also, Brunes, I see that you're in training now. I've got 185 hours in helos, might be a stupid question, but do you think that would help going into primary (which is what I assume the flight school is called)?

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Did you all come in as DCA's? I'm curious what the time table would look like if I did BLUE 21; ie, how long should I expect to wait before I would actually be in Pensacola flying? Is there anything besides OCS that come between being a civilian and starting flight school?

I'm an academy brat and really don't know much about Blue 21. OCS has flight school slots right after graduation. Other than that, I think those two are your only options given your situation.

Brunes

pilot
Hey guys, thanks for the great info. Did you all come in as DCA's? I'm curious what the time table would look like if I did BLUE 21; ie, how long should I expect to wait before I would actually be in Pensacola flying? Is there anything besides OCS that come between being a civilian and starting flight school?

Also, Brunes, I see that you're in training now. I've got 185 hours in helos, might be a stupid question, but do you think that would help going into primary (which is what I assume the flight school is called)?

I'm not sure what the turn time for Blue 21 is- and don't focus solely on Blue 21- Going for a normal OCS spot may be faster or give you better opportunities to get into a class. OCS is approx 18 weeks if I remember right and if you get a flight billet you'll be able to go more or less direct to Pensacola.

If you have logged hours already it will help you out with some things...You can choose to by-pass IFS (Basic ground school + 25 hours flight time at a civilian flight school), API (6 weeks of basic ground instruction-Not platform specific) is mandatory, Primary (T-34 ground and flight time) can be accelerated based on what licenses/ratings you have, and if you get picked up for to fly helos for the CG I'm sure your time will accelerate you in Advanced too. You will have to unlearn some stuff and learn the military way of doing it...but having a basic understanding is a good start.

LivingSacrifice

Other than that, I think those two are your only options given your situation.

Yep, you're right. And at this point, I'd have a really tough time diving into OCS without a sure shot of getting into aviation, because that's my whole purpose for joining. So, unless there's outrageous demand for pilots and it's all but guaranteed, I think my only option would be Blue 21.

Does everyone start in FW? And then get selected to either go FW or rotor when they're through a certain portion of training? Would there be a real chance that I could end up in FW even though I've got experience flying helos? That would be a bit of a bummer.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Does everyone start in FW? And then get selected to either go FW or rotor when they're through a certain portion of training? Would there be a real chance that I could end up in FW even though I've got experience flying helos? That would be a bit of a bummer.

Everyone starts flight training with the Navy in a fixed wing. After that, you either go continue in fixed wing or go rotary during advanced training.

Yes, right now there is a distinct possibility of going fixed wing due to the high demand for fixed wing pilots so you are taking a risk there as well. We are seeing lots of people in Falcon transition courses that wanted helicopters.

Keep this also in mind. Lots of other things besides flying come with being a CG officer. Roughly half of your time will be spent on flying and the other half on collateral duties depending on what you get assigned. This can range from writing the flight schedule to shuffling papers in admin. Some of the collaterals are pretty interesting others can be pretty dull.

All in all though, most guys seem pretty happy regardless of where they are at. ;)

Brunes

pilot
Yep, you're right. And at this point, I'd have a really tough time diving into OCS without a sure shot of getting into aviation, because that's my whole purpose for joining. So, unless there's outrageous demand for pilots and it's all but guaranteed, I think my only option would be Blue 21.

I didn't mention it before...but I'm Academy stock too...

If you want into aviation in the Coast Guard- Sign up for OCS or Blue 21...but just sign up. If you don't get it as a first tour- you can try again in less than a year. Most folks don't go more than 2 boards in a row and they get picked up for the program.

CoastieFlyer hit it on the head- Everyone starts FW for Primary and then goes to FW or RW advanced. Once you are into Primary- There is about a 60-40 chance you will go helos- the past selection (I was in this past one) was nearly 50-50. After you get your assignment you will have chances to transition-and if you get into the program and work hard-You may well be able to pick your own assignments.
CoastieFlyer is right about the 1/2 your job isn't about planes- There is WAY more to being a CG pilot/officer than just you main specialty.

LivingSacrifice

Interesting. I never realized everyone started out in fixed wings. Once you're selected FW or rotor, that's pretty much your path for your entire career, right?

As far as collateral duties go, are they just the luck of the draw (some sort of rotation)? Or does your prior experience come into play at all?

Coastie, you said most guys (and girls, I'm sure) are pretty happy in spite of their collaterals. Would you say that's the norm? I have a bunch of friends who were in the Navy and Marines and it seems like they couldn't wait to get out. Are most people (in your experience) pretty satisfied or even happy in the Coast Guard? I have a really hard time imagining a scenario where I get to fly regularly in cool aircraft while helping people and not being happy with my job.

I'm starting to get a pretty clear picture that the road going forward won't necessarily be an easy one. Aside from that, is there anything else that somebody should know going into something like this that might not be easily understood on the outside? ...Sort of a dose of reality?

Brunes

pilot
Interesting. I never realized everyone started out in fixed wings. Once you're selected FW or rotor, that's pretty much your path for your entire career, right?

As far as collateral duties go, are they just the luck of the draw (some sort of rotation)? Or does your prior experience come into play at all?

Coastie, you said most guys (and girls, I'm sure) are pretty happy in spite of their collaterals. Would you say that's the norm? I have a bunch of friends who were in the Navy and Marines and it seems like they couldn't wait to get out. Are most people (in your experience) pretty satisfied or even happy in the Coast Guard? I have a really hard time imagining a scenario where I get to fly regularly in cool aircraft while helping people and not being happy with my job.

I'm starting to get a pretty clear picture that the road going forward won't necessarily be an easy one. Aside from that, is there anything else that somebody should know going into something like this that might not be easily understood on the outside? ...Sort of a dose of reality?

Lots of folks who get out the Navy/Marines- Join the Coast Guard. All the aviators I've ever talked to are plenty happy with their jobs/duty stations.

Collaterals duties usually rotate-Give you a chance to see lots of stuff as a junior officer so you have lots of experience to fall back on as you promote.

I'm not sure there is a magic thing anyone can tell you- everyone has difference experiences. Keep in your mind that you want to save lives from the cockpit of a CG helo and that will keep you going....it's worked for me so far....=)

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Whatever aircraft you end up in you will have some affection for, be it rotary or fixed wing. Some folks do switch airframes (not that common, but not terribly uncommon either), but I wouldn't lose any sleep over that until you finish your first tour in whatever aircraft you fly in, and by that time it may not matter.

As for flying in the Coast Guard, there will be days where you geek over everything you do, and thank whichever diety you worship that you get to fly, save lives, and are getting paid extra to do it. But because it is a job, there will be days you want the flight to end a bit early because of the mountain of paperwork on your desk/evals ya gotta do/projects the XO threw at you to finish. That being said, most pilots I know are very happy doing their jobs.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Whatever aircraft you end up in you will have some affection for, be it rotary or fixed wing.

Very true. Even the aforementioned Falcon transition students that originally wanted helos admitted at the end of the course that they were very satisfied in the aircraft they ended up with.

But then again, they could have just been self rationalizing or sucking up. :confused:

LivingSacrifice

Again, thanks for the info. It's been really helpful while discussing this with my wife. 11 years is a huge commitment, so I really want to assure her that it won't turn into something we have to miserably "get through."

You guys have any advice as far as areas to focus on when applying for Blue 21 or OCS (which I will probably do also, if it's not automatic with a Blue 21 app)? For instance, is demonstrated leadership more important than say, an overwhelming desire to serve/help others? Should I downplay my passion (read, "overwhelming obsession") for flying and focus more on the other aspects of being an officer? These are the sort of things I'm trying to work out as I begin to formulate my thoughts for my narrative.