• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

4,400' nosedive

jmcquate

Contributor
Assuming the AP was engaged, aren't the cockpit flight controls dis-engaged?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Assuming the AP was engaged, aren't the cockpit flight controls dis-engaged?
Nope. Force applied over rides and disconnects the AP. Other pilot if in the seat could take his control and over ride the other pilot. All of course accompanied with flashing lights and audible warnings.

I'm assuming the the 320 and 330 logic are the same. I've never flown the 330.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Damn, that'd be really scary in the back. Rule #1, don't lie about it. That was equivalent of a 9,000 ft/min descent, which is ridiculous.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn, that'd be really scary in the back. Rule #1, don't lie about it. That was equivalent of a 9,000 ft/min descent, which is ridiculous.

Pretty sure that is the only reason he is on trial.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
As a side note, we'd do full aft stick stalls in the T-38 and knock it off once the ROD exceeded 9k. Pretty wild because the aircraft would be relatively flat and you usually didn't have any visual cues so even though you were falling like a rock, you didn't notice it other than the vsi.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It happened at least 2 1/2 - 3 years ago. I guess they are just now taking him to trial (which I think is absurd as it wasn't intentional and we all do stuff like take pictures).

We talked about this in my initial training. It was a "on any day, that could have been anyone of us" discussion and a lesson on where not to put shit down/store stuff.

It could easily have been his Jepp binder instead of a camera. You put something down, you adjust your seat, the arm rest pushes it into the stick and....

This a cheap important lesson learned for all Bus drivers. It is not a hanging offense.