• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

30 September 2012

dfred

pilot
24 (turning 25 at OCS)
Male
Driving out from Sacramento about a week prior to reporting
Non-prior
SNA
California State University, Chico - BS construction Management

Ray-Ban are you driving to OCS?

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
24 (turning 25 at OCS)
Male
Driving out from Sacramento about a week prior to reporting
Non-prior
SNA
California State University, Chico - BS construction Management

Ray-Ban are you driving to OCS?

Eh not sure yet. I am definitely thinking about it. I mean I need a car in Pcola, so I'd have to get it down there somehow anyways.

dfred

pilot
Eh not sure yet. I am definitely thinking about it. I mean I need a car in Pcola, so I'd have to get it down there somehow anyways.
Exactly what I was thinking, might as well drive out now, you are paid to drive anyways.

Blue9

Pro-Rec SNA
23 (turning 24 on 29 Sept)
Male
Los Angeles
Non-prior
SNA
Yale University - Political Science

I was unsure about driving until Ray-Ban pointed out what should have been obvious, that we'd need it later anyway. Won't complain about a little more pay!

Rev

pilot
Just got a copy of my letter and I'll be with you guys!

Male
Gulfport, MS
Non-Prior
University of Southern Mississippi - Political Science

I'll be flying in since P-Cola is just a short hop from home for me.

mataron

Naval Aviator, VP-46
pilot
Exactly what I was thinking, might as well drive out now, you are paid to drive anyways.
California to Newport to Pensacola is over 4300 miles, whereas California (L.A.) to Pensacola is less than 2100 miles. To me, a round trip flight to save 2200 miles is worth it. But I didn't know one is paid to drive. Could you go into more detail about that? Thanks.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
24 (turning 25 on 18 Sept)
Male
Hometown: Newport Beach, CA
Non-prior
SNA
University of California, Irvine - Political Science

Blue9

Pro-Rec SNA
California to Newport to Pensacola is over 4300 miles, whereas California (L.A.) to Pensacola is less than 2100 miles. To me, a round trip flight to save 2200 miles is worth it. But I didn't know one is paid to drive. Could you go into more detail about that? Thanks.
from my understanding, your active duty service for pay purposes begins the day you leave home (and that day is earlier if you drive than if you fly). You get a per-diem for each day you're driving, and you get reimbursed for mileage at the federal rate, which is generally way more than you'll pay for gas.

On an unrelated note, nice to see so many Californians and people from So Cal for this class early on!

dfred

pilot
from my understanding, your active duty service for pay purposes begins the day you leave home (and that day is earlier if you drive than if you fly). You get a per-diem for each day you're driving, and you get reimbursed for mileage at the federal rate, which is generally way more than you'll pay for gas.

On an unrelated note, nice to see so many Californians and people from So Cal for this class early on!
Your explanation of the process for driving to OCS sounds spot on to me, and agreed can't complain about a few fellow Californians. The other thing to think about is you only have a certain amount of time to report down to Pensacola upon graduation before your accrued leave starts to take a hit, the drive from Newport to Penacola will be shorter and more relaxing than the drive from Cali to Pensacola, besides, can't complain about a road trip through the north before OCS starts!

Rev

pilot
Just finished swearing in this morning! That part took about 2 minutes but about 2 hours worth of paperwork. Guess I should get used to that?

I'll be going for SNA too, don't know why I didn't include that in the above post.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Just finished swearing in this morning! That part took about 2 minutes but about 2 hours worth of paperwork. Guess I should get used to that?

I'll be going for SNA too, don't know why I didn't include that in the above post.
Congrats man, I think I'm swearing in next week. Maybe I should head a little south and join up with the Cali guys on our drive over.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congrats man, I think I'm swearing in next week. Maybe I should head a little south and join up with the Cali guys on our drive over.

All you Dudes driving into Newport in mid-Sept... kick back and enjoy the scenery coming through NY state and New England. It's the perfect time of the year to see the maple forests in a pallette of vivid colors. Dogwoods of pink & white and other spcies give their final display, prior to winter hibernation. On a chilly morning, pop into a roadside cider stand & suck up some of their delicious homemade hot spiced apple cider. It's an unforgettable sight & will put you in a good frame of mind, and perhaps help to endure the, uh..,ass-pain of OCS!:)

OBTW, no drinking, cell phone talking/texting while driving, could end a career before it got started.:(

Good luck, y'all!
BzB

Lindy

Congratulations guys! I'm up for this late July board; just curious as to your scores! Again, congrats on your FS letters!

dfred

pilot
Congratulations guys! I'm up for this late July board; just curious as to your scores! Again, congrats on your FS letters!
I scored an 8/9/9 63 on my ASTB and had a 3.2 GPA. Definitely spend the time to make sure you get the best scores on the ASTB and good luck on the July boards!